383 differences per year

I think you're describing 440source stealth heads aren't you? =)
I've been disappointed with every set of 516's I've used, including 2 sets that had reasonable 1.74 work and some porting.
I'm really going to try to never use them again lol

Well, we will soon see if the engine I'm going to go look at tomorrow has the mounting bosses, drilled or not. And I'm going to pop of one of the heads to take a look at what's what inside. My '65 Plymouth was scheduled to be built in November of '64. That means the engine would be built in '64. The date on the engine I'm going to look at is 12/5/66. That means there could be two years difference between the two. I took photos of mine this morning and will compare to what I see tomorrow.
As far as type of head, it doesn't matter to me. It will run on any of them and I don't expect to drive this car more than a couple thousand miles a year, if that. And absolutely no racing!
I'll keep you posted.

Just a quick note to finish up this conversation.
The engine did have a 12-5-66 date on it and appears to have been rebuilt many years ago. The current owner didn't know anything about it other than it was given to him with a 66 Monaco that he bought for the original Monaco engine. The previous owner was going to install the 383 but it was never put in.
I pulled a head off with the owners permission and found that it was completely filled with grease. (Both I and the seller were surprised. Obviously an attempt to pickle the engine. After removing a bit of it, the pistons appear new and maybe not original type. there is no ring riidge at the top of the cylinders, indicating that maybe it has been bored out. I didn't notice a size number on the pistons, but didn't look that hard either.
I turned the crank with the damper bolt and it spun easily with the one head still on it, so not sure how much grease is on the other side.
I have done nothing with it since getting it home, but hope to inspect it a little more this coming weekend.
It's my intention to start a thread in Restorations with all I'm doing with my car, but honey do's come first.

Sounds great. Are the mount bosses there and drilled?

Good to get all the grease out before starting. Burnt up grease will leave residue on the rings and ring lands. Wipe all you can then turn it upside down on a stand and brake cleaner will get in the edge of the piston.

Are the mount bosses there and drilled?
DUH! That was the primary point I meant to make! It is exactly like my '65, so I have no idea when they made the change, but I think I lucked out!
And, I will do plan on pulling it all apart to clean it. Have to check the bearings and see if they are newish and may even have the block professionally cleaned to make sure the coolant ports are clear.

Last edited:
Back