Disc brake conversion kits

Guys, the car was on the lift and wheels hanging free which is about a 5 inch stretch or so. It's perfect while on the ground.

This where I moved my hose bracket.

20240516_053833.jpg

Guys, the car was on the lift and wheels hanging free which is about a 5 inch stretch or so. It's perfect while on the ground.
If you are driving and get into some type of emergency evasive action, make a hard swerve with the brakes and put fluid pressure inside the hoses, one of them might fail.
Might take years to experience such a situation, when you've forgotten all about this.

If you've ever had a front hose or line burst in a panic stop you know the sensation.
If not, it's this - The situation changes in a half-second. You feel helpless as the car lunges toward whatever you were trying to not hit. In the next second while you process what has happened, all your other options fade from your brain.

It's too easy to fix now. Don't dig in just because your buddy has been working on cars for awhile. Some of us have been also. Nobody knows everything.

If you've ever had a front hose or line burst in a panic stop you know the sensation.
If not, it's this - The situation changes in a half-second. You feel helpless as the car lunges toward whatever you were trying to not hit. In the next second while you process what has happened, all your other options fade from your brain.
I have had a front brake hose burst in an emergency stop. This is exactly what happens....

I haven't said anything here other than hit "agree" or "disagree"... But it needs to be said again that the hose is too tight. IMHO, I find it very ironic that the car was converted to disc brakes in the name of "safety" when an obvious safety issue is being dismissed.

SMH...

I have had a front brake hose burst in an emergency stop. This is exactly what happens....

I haven't said anything here other than hit "agree" or "disagree"... But it needs to be said again that the hose is too tight. IMHO, I find it very ironic that the car was converted to disc brakes in the name of "safety" when an obvious safety issue is being dismissed.

SMH...
I had the rear axle flex hose in my 65 Mustang fail, before I had installed a dual chamber master cylinder. I rear ended a Subaru. What a helpless feeling! The issue was that I hadn’t routed the flex line best, and it was rubbing on the exhaust when the suspension was compressed. I have since corrected the issue.

The issue was that I hadn’t routed the flex line best, and it was rubbing on the exhaust when the suspension was compressed. I have since corrected the issue.
Mine happened from putting 235-60 tires on teh front of an 80 Cordoba. Hose rubbed on the tire. Apparently it took awhile of the right steering/suspension conditions allowing the rub (as I found out afterward).

Had to do a hard stop and the hose burst. Hit car #1 about 30mph - pushed it into the car in front of it, and the one in front of it, and finally into a big service truck that stopped it all. Only got a busted lip. If it had been at highway speed it would've been really ugly.

Nowadays I don't take any chances with hose routing. And I check both sides, in case something not-noticeable makes a difference.

@Norwegianmopar
I truly hope you take our experience to heart. You've got a handful of guys saying your hoses need better routing. The last sentence in my post #24 is my opinion that this is fixable without cracking any lines open. Might be a 1-hour job if it's still on the lift.

SMH...
I agree.
I have had hose and line faillure several times while testing owners cars. One was because toooo short hose....

I replaced my Imperial hoses with 72 Dodge pick up truck hoses for extra length.
I wasn't able to get clippers off with out really forcing the hose. On the rear tho original hose would be stretched so much it was stopping the rear axel from fully hanging.
You will have to do some researce on hose lengths. I don't have the number available, but rockauto is good for find specs on length. I think I ordered a 16" or 18" hose. original hose was 12".

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the hose before and after. From my notes, I used three rear flex lines from a
W200 PICKUP1969-1973
IMG_0246.JPG

67130960004__161CDD8C-601F-4009-86E4-3DFF4C83EB58.jpeg

67130928974__0C3DF7C7-982C-4EE5-8E55-AB5A00ADD372.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_1446.jpeg

if you go down to the thread "soft lines for a 73 disc brake conversion " I posted a crappy pic of how I rotated the bracket and I have the part # for the 73 line...which I believe is longer than the 71

Back