WANTED GAS TANK - 1970 Plymouth Custom Suburban

MacsGarage

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi there, I am looking for an OEM style gas tank for my 1970 Plymouth Custom Suburban Station Wagon (including the retaining straps). The unit within the car does exist in the correct place behind the rear driver's side tire, however the tank and the straps securing it are far from correct. I do not therefore have a clear image of the correct tank, whether from my own information or from anything I've found online. The most interesting bit of info I could manage to come across was a difference in gas tanks from what I can only guess is 69-70 then a change from 71' onwards. Supposedly 1971 and later fuel tanks might've had Emissions Control Systems (ECS) with additional vapor lines running from the tank. I am therefore, unless specified other wise looking for a non-ECS tank from 1969-70.

Here are some part #'s I found for the separate gas tanks.

Gas Tank without ECS : 2925748

Gas Tank with ECS : 3404225

If anyone has a tank, some insightful information, or a point in the right direction towards finding one up for sale, it would be much appreciated. Here is a photo though of the wagon.
Thanks for your time,
MacsGarage

IMG_5428.jpg

Hi there, I am looking for an OEM style gas tank for my 1970 Plymouth Custom Suburban Station Wagon (including the retaining straps). The unit within the car does exist in the correct place behind the rear driver's side tire, however the tank and the straps securing it are far from correct. I do not therefore have a clear image of the correct tank, whether from my own information or from anything I've found online. The most interesting bit of info I could manage to come across was a difference in gas tanks from what I can only guess is 69-70 then a change from 71' onwards. Supposedly 1971 and later fuel tanks might've had Emissions Control Systems (ECS) with additional vapor lines running from the tank. I am therefore, unless specified other wise looking for a non-ECS tank from 1969-70.

Here are some part #'s I found for the separate gas tanks.

Gas Tank without ECS : 2925748

Gas Tank with ECS : 3404225

If anyone has a tank, some insightful information, or a point in the right direction towards finding one up for sale, it would be much appreciated. Here is a photo though of the wagon.
Thanks for your time,
MacsGarage

View attachment 659899
What is your location? Last time I was out at Hidden Valley Auto Wreckers outside of Phoenix there were at least two already out and on the ground. Another resource would be Wildcat Auto Wreckers outside of Portland.
Im located in the Midwest and there may be one up in a yard outside of Madison Wisconsin. Shipping used gas tanks could be an issue. A radiator shop may be able to repair the one in the car. Nice looking wagon as well

What is your location? Last time I was out at Hidden Valley Auto Wreckers outside of Phoenix there were at least two already out and on the ground. Another resource would be Wildcat Auto Wreckers outside of Portland.
Im located in the Midwest and there may be one up in a yard outside of Madison Wisconsin. Shipping used gas tanks could be an issue. A radiator shop may be able to repair the one in the car. Nice looking wagon as well
Thank you for responding! I will give the place a call first thing tomorrow as they aren't open on Monday. I didn't find any direct listing for a Plymouth C-body wagon in their inventory on their site, but it couldn't hurt to confirm over the phone, if you said you had seen a couple the last time you visited. The reason why I'm looking for a correct tank is specifically, is because the tank that is within the wagon is not correct. Not even close. So although it doesn't leak, it cannot be properly secured with the retaining straps. Plus I'm a purist to the nth degree and finding original equipment is my end goal for the car.

Much appreciated for the information @Wonderwagon !

Last edited:
To answer your question I am located in central phoenix

Hidden Valley had one out, it was at the end of the plymouth row with two station wagons. Last visit was about a year ago.

Best to take a drive out there, been very nice to me each time I've been there. TSA has been an interesting experience with old car parts

I appreciate the information and greatly appreciate you helping me. I called them the other day and unfortunately the no longer had any C body wagons. I'm still determined to keep looking... wish me luck!
Hidden Valley had one out, it was at the end of the plymouth row with two station wagons. Last visit was about a year ago.

I'm the guy on Facebook getting ready to remove one this weekend. I can get you some underside pics tomorrow night and post them here.

I need little more fuel than that factory tank can provide

1000004606.jpg

Oh it's full right now too. LoL on my way to the guys house with a hoist to put Wilwood all the way around it and found out tonight that they miss boxed the rear caliper bracket and will be a week before they will get me the right ones. So might as well do the fuel while I wait

1000003500.jpg

1000004654.png

1000004655.png

Photo's would be awesome, as I'm curious to see where the tank connects to the hardline as mine is unused but present with the car. Beautiful color combination on that gorgeous Suburban. Please let me know if you'd be interested in selling the fuel tank, sending unit, with the respective mounting straps/hardware?
I'm out in Phoenix, AZ. Plus I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs regarding shipping a "technically used" fuel tank.
Please get back to me when you can. Thank you

Mac

Last edited:
This is awesome! This is the first photo I've ever seen, (with how hard I'd searched online) of what the OEM fuel tank looks like. Please let me know if you'd like to sell it with the hardware/mounting straps/ sending unit.

Last edited:
Back