sealing the timing chain cover

spstan

Reaction score
My understanding is that oil leaks usually occur at the bottom corners of the timing chain cover when you replace it. The kit I got from Fel Pro has a piece of gasket specifically for the bottom of the timing cover (or top of oil pan). So I plan to clean those two corners up really good and then use an abundance of RV sealant. It would be extremely disappointing to get the whole thing back together and then have an oil leak at the bottom corners. Any other suggestions to prevent oil leaks at the bottom and corners of the timing chain cover? Thanks Paul

Don't use an abundance. Just coat the gaskets, the abundance will all oooze out and inside you engine, not good.

Don't use an abundance. Just coat the gaskets, the abundance will all oooze out and inside you engine, not good.
4; "ooze out and inside your engine" - even if I wait 24 hours for it to dry? Paul

"Abundance" is NOT good and it is wasteful without sealing any better at all. "Just a dab 'll do ya."

CBODY67

4; "ooze out and inside your engine" - even if I wait 24 hours for it to dry? Paul
If you wait for it to dry then it will be to think to fit in there.

You have an unknown surprise when you try to install the timing cover with that new gasket. You see those dowel pins in the block that locate the timing cover? Yeah it will be tight going on. Don't remove the dowel pins or your front seal will be leaking.

Back