11 mpg!!!

jake

Reaction score
I put over 1000 miles on my rebuilt motor this summer so I figured I would consider that broke in. I calculated mpg and was blow away when it figure out to 11 mpg. Stock 383 with edelbrock 600 with 3.23s and driven hard. No highway miles. I was ecstatic, just as good as my ram.

I'm hoping for 8 mpg with my new engine.....

I'm getting between 15-22 mpg in my '18 Ram

I'm getting between 15-22 mpg in my '18 Ram
I have the 09 with the 6 speed, 11 in the city and 17 on the highway with the hemi kick down to 4 cylinders. The 8 speed trans really helped out on the newer rams.

I have the 09 with the 6 speed, 11 in the city and 17 on the highway with the hemi kick down to 4 cylinders. The 8 speed trans really helped out on the newer rams.

Yep, 8 speed txsm and 3:92 axles

Stan, speaking of exhaust.....

On my 78 400. The right side exhaust manifold has a tube/pipe about 3/8" in diameter that comes off the very rear of the exhaust manifold and goes about half way up to the air cleaner and then has a check valve and then has about a 1" tube that goes in to the air cleaner housing. I believe the 400 has it because NO 400's have an air pump. Does your 76 440 have that tube on the rear of the right side exhaust manifold to the Air cleaner?

Of course that was long gone when I converted the LB and added the intake/ carb. I thought I had an exhaust leak where I blocked that tube coming off the exhaust manifold because there is only one bolt mounting that tube to the manifold. It turns out that wasn't leaking. I had a broken exhaust manifold mounting bolt and that was causing the manifold to leak. I'll know for sure when I start the beast up next week.

Stan, speaking of exhaust.....

On my 78 400. The right side exhaust manifold has a tube/pipe about 3/8" in diameter that comes off the very rear of the exhaust manifold and goes about half way up to the air cleaner and then has a check valve and then has about a 1" tube that goes in to the air cleaner housing. I believe the 400 has it because NO 400's have an air pump. Does your 76 440 have that tube on the rear of the right side exhaust manifold to the Air cleaner?
Nope. None of that stuff. Just a hose that runs from the breather cap on the pass. side valve cover to the air filter housing.

I like that you call it The Beast; lol.

Last edited:
Nope. None of that stuff. Just a hose that runs from the breather cap on the pass. side valve cover to the air filter housing.

I like that you call it The Beast; lol.

I believe the 400s were the only engine that had that because there wasn't an air pump.

Does your 440 have or had an air pump?

I believe the 400s were the only engine that had that because there wasn't an air pump.

Does your 440 have or had an air pump?
Never had an air pump and since it was a very early 76 build, it was without the Leanburn system.

Back