1959 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door sedan: Repaint in new colors or leave original?

Top Cat

Reaction score
Click on link:

CC For Sale: 1959 Plymouth Belvedere--Keep The Patina or Repaint?

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 21-54-01 s-l1600.webp (WEBP Image 1600 × 1200 pixels) — Scaled (62%).png

To me, "patina" can be an acquired taste of sorts. It can give homage to the vehicle's past life and also identify the vehicle as "refurbished" rather than "restored", too. Several differnet orientations, for sure.

Personally, I like "original paint" vehicles, but not with newer clearcoat sprayed over it. Reason? If the owners went to enough trouble to prep the surface for the clearcoat paint, then they were not that many steps away from a good looking new paint job anyway. In this case, I'm not considering "cost" as a factor, although it certainly can be a consideration.

I also respect vehicles with a touch or hint of primer showing through the original paint, on places like the tops of teh front fenders. A good car wax can protect that, no clearcoat needed.

Others might have different orientations, which I fully respect.

Whatever works,
CBODY67

I am with you there CBODY67. That car looks good with the original paint even faded and chalked out. If the OP is the kind of guy that likes shiny new pennies, then by all means paint the car. I would keep it the original color. You do understand that if you paint it you are going down a very expensive hole that includes trim restoration (including finding molding clips that haven't been produced for a half century. Also new paint warrants rechromed bumpers. There's another couple thousand. (guessing there. It has been a while since I had mine done.

Back