2024 Sully Antique Car Show

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
@Analog Kid attended the 2018 Sully Show and reported on his experience that year. I attended it in 2019 and 2022 (the Sully show was not held in 2020 and 2021 due to Covid), but I was nowhere close last year. Luckily, I was visiting the area and had a car handy this year, so I went. The weather was superb, making it a great Father's Day event. The one off note is that there were fewer cars this year than at the two earlier Sully Shows that I had previously attended -- no idea why, as it was a perfect day.

I brought Regina FQ3, my turquoise 1970 'vert. @Imperialist67 rode with me, as the car he'd planned on bringing had transmission issues (hopefully, it will be ready in time for Carlisle). As in past years, I met @73MFImperial and his wife: they brought their 1973 Imperial and 1977 Cordoba -- it was great to see them and to meet their family. @Analog Kid brought his 1972 Fury iii hardtop, and most of his family was there as well. @ravenscat brought his white 1969 Newport convertible, but he arrived after the main entrance cutoff and so was not allowed to park with other Mopars -- it is unfortunate that his car was sent to the overflow area, as there was some space left in the Mopar section. @Copper1982 was also at the show, but with a VW and I did not have a chance to meet him -- Mike did, though. @Ripinator had hoped to make it but could not.

As usual it was a very nice show, well organized, in a very nice setting. Quite a few trees graced the show field: together with an intermittent breeze, they offered some reprieve from the sun. We found a nice big dogwood to sit under, and the C-body folks all gathered there.

I took many pics and will post some below. Here is an overview of the field where the Mopars were.

IMG_2684 MRmod.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

Last edited:
I reduced the iPhone file size using my Mac, so the file size would be small enough to post. Still, the FCBO site further downsampled the photos, making the quality quite poor. Apologies for that. @Joeychgo -- any chance that you might change the parameters to preserve a decent level of resolution? I see some photos showing up very nicely, but some others are not --is this a PC/Mac thing? Regardless, could you fix the issue?

Here is a 1955 deSoto Firedome wagon, beautifully restored.

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

Beautiful 1977 Chrysler Cordoba, perfectly repainted in the original X8. Note the interior, too.

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

And now for a few GMs. The star in my book was this 1953 Buick Skylark.

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

I like Cadillacs, too. There were two 1959 Eldorado convertibles, a red one that I did not photograph (oops) and this beautiful blue metallic. Present also were a 1970 DeVille convertible, gorgeous in dark blue, and a 1975 Eldorado convertible (the 1975 and 1976 look very similar, but the clear front turn signals and the vertical slats in the grille say 1975 -- a 1976 would have orange markers and horizontal slats).

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660_MRmod.jpg

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2682 MRmod.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

One more GM: a 1969 Olds 98. Very, very nice restoration.

resized posted FCBO.jpg

Onto European cars. There were many nice ones. Here is a selection: Volvo, Rover, and VW Beetle.

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

Most of my Mopar friends and I went as spectators this year. It's the first time in many years that we didn't bring our classic cars. This year it was announced that there would be no day of show registrations. The show field would be for preregistrations only this time. In the past, we never preregistered. It was a great show, but there were certainly fewer cars than in years past. Five of my friends did preregister. They brought a 55 Plymouth, 72 Scamp, 63 Datsun pickup, 55 Studebaker and a 70 GTO. A couple cars that were there that I thought were worthy of mentioning included a survivor 61 New Yorker that was loaded with factory options, and a 63 Rolls Royce. The Rolls Royce was originally owned by Debbie Reynolds before she sold it to Lucille Ball. One car I always look for is a 65 Mustang convertible I've known for years. A friend of my late mother bought the car new in 65. Only car she has ever owned. It is still her daily driver after three engine rebuilds, two complete restorations and two transmission rebuilds. It's always interesting to see how many miles she has on it. She's got more than 550,000 miles on the car now. I think we figured out that in recent years, she's been adding about 10,000 miles per year. I first saw the car more than forty years ago.

DSCN2040.JPG

DSCN2045.JPG

DSCN2179.JPG

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2230.JPG

DSCN2251.JPG

DSCN2268.JPG

DSCN2058.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool, thx for posting..... its always possible to host big pix off site and put up a link.

Most of my Mopar friends and I went as spectators this year. It's the first time in many years that we didn't bring our classic cars. This year it was announced that there would be no day of show registrations. The show field would be for preregistrations only this time. In the past, we never preregistered. It was a great show, but there were certainly fewer cars than in years past. Five of my friends did preregister. They brought a 55 Plymouth ...() One car I always look for is a 65 Mustang convertible I've known for years. A friend of my late mother bought the car new in 65. Only car she has ever owned. It is still her daily driver after three engine rebuilds, two complete restorations and two transmission rebuilds. It's always interesting to see how many miles she has on it. She's got more than 550,000 miles on the car now. I think we figured out that in recent years, she's been adding about 10,000 miles per year. I first saw the car more than forty years ago.

View attachment 666770
Bummer that we did not meet at the show!

I think that you put the finger on the reason for the low attendance. One bonus was very little backup at the entrance. But if the cost is fewer cars attending, then I hope that the organizers make a different trade-off next year.

PS: If the Mustang that you show is your Mum's friend's, then the tree behind it is where the C-body guys were all at (though apparently not at the time that you took the photo...). Glad that you captured the beautiful Plymouth -- I talked to the owner, as his car was parked right next to Regina.

Bummer that we did not meet at the show!

I think that you put the finger on the reason for the low attendance. One bonus was very little backup at the entrance. But if the cost is fewer cars attending, then I hope that the organizers make a different trade-off next year.

PS: If the Mustang that you show is your Mum's friend's, then the tree behind it is where the C-body guys were all at (though apparently not at the time that you took the photo...). Glad that you captured the beautiful Plymouth -- I talked to the owner, as his car was parked right next to Regina.
Yes, the preregistration requirement kept myself and seven of my friends from bringing our cars this year. I'm sure we weren't alone. The Mustang in the photo is the one I was mentioning. That 55 Plymouth is a very nice car. The owner was trying to sell it because he was buying a 53 Studebaker Starlite hardtop coupe. But, it didn't sell before he pulled the trigger on the Studebaker. Funny thing is, now he has the Studebaker, he decided he likes the Plymouth better. So he's keeping the Plymouth and selling the Studebaker.
1718732449478.png
1718732162105.png

@Jim 68cuda -- you (and your friends) may want to let the organizers know about the pre-registration issue. I'd have loved to see 8 more cars!

I reduced the iPhone file size using my Mac, so the file size would be small enough to post. Still, the FCBO site further downsampled the photos, making the quality quite poor. Apologies for that. @Joeychgo -- any chance that you might change the parameters to preserve a decent level of resolution? I see some photos showing up very nicely, but some others are not --is this a PC/Mac thing? Regardless, could you fix the issue?

Look fine to me.

Look fine to me.
I respectfully disagree. The downsampling and the resulting pixellation are pretty bad.

On the positive side, thank you for letting original files be uploaded on the members' galleries: the difference in quality is night-and-day.

Looks like there were a lot of cars at this show you don't typically see. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, did you happen to get a pic of the Travelall pictured in the background of the 3rd pic in post #9?

Looks like there were a lot of cars at this show you don't typically see. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, did you happen to get a pic of the Travelall pictured in the background of the 3rd pic in post #9?
The Travelall has a modern 5.7 Hemi under the hood.

DSCN2187.JPG

DSCN2186.JPG

I respectfully disagree. The downsampling and the resulting pixellation are pretty bad.

I not seeing it. Yes we degrade images because raw images are often very large. That makes pages take longer to load and takes up more server storage space.

Back