383 intake bolt with oil line?

mcmlvii

Reaction score
On the passenger side of my intake, there is an oil line coming off the intake bolt (hollow, I presume) in front of the heat riser. The oil line then goes to the rear and attaches to the block next to the oil pressure sender. I don't see this on any 383 photos I've looked at online. Anyone got something similar? Thanks
John

A picture would be helpful here but there's no logical reason to have that sort of plumbing. I'd like to see it mostly for the entertainment value....

Yeah, I wanted to post one but didn't have one handy. I'll try to get one today. Thanks

It's not an oil line but it was another early oddball CA smog thingie whatchamacallit. This is third time I've heard/seen about it. There's a pic floating around out there either here or Moparts.

Posted via Topify on Android

Here are a couple photos of the hose. Both ends are factory-crimped onto the fittings. The car was originally sold in Tennessee, so not sure why the car would have the CAP gear on it.

The intake side goes to a fitting where an intake bolt usually resides. It's the black hose under the carb vacuum hose in the photo.
IMG_0104.JPG

Here's the back end of the hose. Sure looks as though oil goes through it but if it's for the CAP, oil doesn't seem a likely possibility...
IMG_0105.JPG

Now that I've seen the pictures, it's not what I referenced to seeing earlier.
Strange. This makes no sense. That intake manifold mounting bolt threads into a blind hole on the head.

21errr9.jpg

11ghpvs.jpg

25anjw5.jpg

Unbolt that thing and let's see WTH is going on.

Last edited:
That is unlike anything I've ever seen before and now that I've seen it it still makes no sense. There are no oil passages in the part of the head that the intake bolts to, the head is oiled via the rocker shaft pedestals. The only thing you're getting from that part of the block is oil/pressure. I personally want you to take it apart and have a standard intake bolt and the pipe plug handy that you'll need to cap both of those after removal because I don't think whatever that is is necessary and I want to know what it is. You have a factory service manual for the car?

I don't think that's a blind hole. I don't have a head to check here, but I think that hole goes through the casting and would vent to the crank case.

Still makes no sense to me though.

I don't think that's a blind hole. I don't have a head to check here, but I think that hole goes through the casting and would vent to the crank case.

Still makes no sense to me though.

I just checked and you are correct.

2mezntd.jpg

So it is recirculating oil vapors. But that is a strange way to do it.

I still don't understand how it could be an emissions part.

First, that car would have already had a PVC system. Second, the hose goes back to the rear of the block, looks like to the plug next to the oil pressure sender. That would be pressurized at that spot, so oil would flow to the crankcase at the manifold.

Makes no sense.....

Need pics of the valve covers to see what they have for PCV's and/or oil breathers also.

At this point I have to go with that somebody did a home grown modification thinking that he was helping get better oil lubrication to the rockers. Until positively shown otherwise.......

God forbid that hose burst.

Last edited:
I didn't realize I had such an oddity. The valve covers each have a pipe out the top (as normal I believe), one for the PCV and one for the breather. The air cleaner and breather have a nipple and they are connected by a rubber hose, as shown in Nick's Garage air cleaner site, and he identifies it with CAP stuff. Here's my engine with the breather connected to the air cleaner (yeah, it's filthy):
DSC00189_sm.jpg

Back to the strange hose. It is cut in the middle and a cheapo plastic vacuum-line-type connector is clamped in place. I'm just guessing here, but maybe at one time there was a heat sensor in the line to monitor oil temperature, and something may have switched on or off when the temp got to a certain point (for emissions purposes). In any case, if there's oil running through that line, I'm going to take out the cheapo plastic connector and put in a piece of steel or brass tubing. I might even replace the whole line. Now that's a novel concept. Thanks all for your help.

DSC00189_sm.jpg

I'd eliminate it all together, whatever purpose it might have served is gone and the rest is unnecessary.

What is the connection on the back of the engine?

If that was an oil line with hot, pressurized oil flowing through it, the rubber hose needs to be rated to do that.... with a good connection at the engine. If there is a plastic vacuum tap in the center, that won't last very long at all.

I would bet it is an attempt at internal ventilation to combat excessive pressure and oil leaking. I have seen (and done) some interesting things over the years where people have made strange holes, drilled bolts ran mazes of hoses,,,ect... I have owned a lot of English cars in my time and many of them didn't use front or main seals. They just relied on scroll seals and crankcase vents.. Once the engine gets some miles and wear on it, crankcase pressure builds up and things start leaking.... more holes in the engine helps reduce the pressure and leaking.

Home remedy it is. Although misguided.......

When you remove the manifold port slash bolt, I want to see a picture of it before it goes into the trash. Should be interesting.

secfhg.jpg

Last edited:
Back