67 Monaco Taillights

GJS

Reaction score
here's one I should know:

There was a thread about a 67 Polara that clearly had Monaco taillights a little while back but I can't find it. So:
1967 Monaco taillight:
IMG_2696.JPG

1967 Polara taillight
IMG_2698.JPG

Now, the reason I ask is that I found a decent pair of 67 Monaco lights BUT they are like this:
IMG_2697.JPG

I know it's nitpick crap but my 67 Monaco has the inner chrome stripe like the ones in the first Monaco picture.

Anyone have any idea why this would be? Doesn't seem to be specific to the 500s. A mid year change?

Whaddya think?

If you pass on 'em lemmie know how much and a contact please. mine are cracked and I'll take what I can get til I find what I want.

If you pass on 'em lemmie know how much and a contact please. mine are cracked and I'll take what I can get til I find what I want.
Will do, man. Seller is working on getting me some good pics and a price right now.
Mine have a puncture in the passenger side that was glued back in place and someone used the driver side as an ashtray and burned a nice 3" strip into it... they keep water out but yea, pretty grody.

Hey man, she just got back to me and they look to be in good shape. I feel like I have bigger fish to fry with my car so I may pass BUT she only wants 40 bucks for the pair... um .. if I don't hear back from you I'm gonna nab em. I'll gladly sell them to you after but this is kinda too good to pass up!

It's possible the Monaco had its' tail lights changed out early in its' life (vandalism perhaps?), or perhaps Monaco tail lights were out of stock on the assembly line and Polara lights substituted.

It's possible the Monaco had its' tail lights changed out early in its' life (vandalism perhaps?), or perhaps Monaco tail lights were out of stock on the assembly line and Polara lights substituted.
I guess, but these aren't Polara taillights either. They're Monaco lights without the inner chrome trim... ?!! What's up, Ma?

Just a shot in the dark. The difference seems to be the inside loop chrome trim. If this was a press fit chrome piece perhaps it was simply removed at some point in history. Alternatively if it was a chrome paint finish someone may have buffed the finish off?

I am not that familiar with Monacos, but I ran across a turbine bronze '67 4 dr about 30 years ago with a star pattern in the tail light lenses. Do all Monacos have this? I do not recall whether it had the chrome loop or not.

I wonder if there is more than one variation, or if the aftermarket was involved at some point.

If someone has access to one with a star pattern lens, please post a close-up photo.

The silver part of the Monaco's tail light is just a flimsy separate tacked-on plastic piece, easy to break or lose, which likely is what happened in the case of that car.

The silver part of the Monaco's tail light is just a flimsy separate tacked-on plastic piece, easy to break or lose, which likely is what happened in the case of that car.
Ah .. I should look closer at mine. I always took it for granted that it was some sort of applied chrome, not a separate piece.

Goldfish65 gets the "ding ding ding" on this one. Looked at mine last night and they are indeed flimsy and indeed falling off.
So yea, there you have it.
Thanks!

Back