Another Disc brake question.

It was the practice to include a power booster with any front disc brake car in the 1960s and later. EXCEPT for 1970 Camaros which could have non-power brake front discs.
A minor correction: Mopar made manual-disc A bodies in the late ‘60s.

Good morning, all. I'm considering doing a Scarebird front disc brake conversion on my 68 Newport. I have recently, within the last two years had my brake booster rebuilt,
(booster Dewey). It has less than 1k miles on it.
My question is...is it absolutely necessary to use a disc brake booster for this conversion? Has anyone used a drum brake booster with disc brake set up with success?
TIA. Appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

1965-72 Plymouth, Dodge C-Body full size front disc
I had this done to my 69 Newport convertible

Replaced the master cylinder with a new one. Added a disc booster pump with a proportional valve. Works great and has no problem stopping this beautiful work of art.

A minor correction: Mopar made manual-disc A bodies in the late ‘60s.
Smaller body platforms might have been good with non-power front disc brakes, as most import cars were. The manual disc brakes cars might have been around, but probably not many, I suspect. I know what it takes to stop my '77 Camaro with power front disc brakes. I would not want to consider what it might be with non-power front disc brakes, although they were available.

My other gut suspicion is that IF a dealer ordered an A-body with non-power front disc brakes, for whatever reason, they didn't order any more of them.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If I were you, I’d get the dual-diaphragm booster. If I were me, I’d keep using the original drum master, as I still am, on my ‘66 300 that I converted to ‘72 C-body discs, in the ‘80s.

Like any good boy scout.

Back