Back in Ma Mopar's Arms

GJS

Reaction score
Fellers, I feel a little iffy talking about this so soon as delivery is so far off. However, I feel the journey begins here so here I will start.

I’ve been back up on the forum since July 2016 when I posted about a ride from my past .. indeed, the one that started it all for me. I’ve since been searching, reading through your experiences and projects, rekindling my fire for the hobby, and brushing up and expanding upon my knowledge.

When I started looking again, I felt that holding out for something that too closely mimicked my old car may put me at a disadvantage. .. I’m a slab side junkie, no doubt. I LOVE a good fusie, don’t get me wrong, but theres something about driving a slab side, the interior, the exterior as viewed from the interior that always struck me a just about perfect. With that in mind, I came up with a list of cars I would want to make this next journey with. Toppers would always be a fast top so 67 and 68 NYER,300, Newp, Monaco, Polara … also always loved were 65 and 66 NYER, 300, Newps but only 66 Monacos and Polaras. Then to Fusies, 69, 70, 71 NYER, 300, Newps, Monaco, Polara, Fury …

All that to say, my options were open. I was not specifically looking for my old car or anything like it. I found quite a many that were really neat cars… however, the ones close enough to me to be seen first hand were kinda scary … anything that spend it’s life where I live (New England) or anywhere NEAR where I live is bound to be f****d up in some way. The rest we’re in remote areas where there was no reasonable way to get eyes on them.

Then, back in Oct of this year I was doing my weekly scrub of craigslist and a 67 Monaco 500 down around Austin TX came up. Now, a little secret I never told my 68 Monaco non 500 318 column shifted car: I always wanted a 67 500 console 383 car and not only was this one the exact color of my 68 (bottom portion anyway) but it didn’t have a vinyl roof which always creeped me out from a rust perspective.

I called on it right then as I had my sister and her husband up in Dallas willing to go down and take a look at it for me. The seller was a great guy, third owner, mechanically knowledgable and super generous in gathering information for me. We struck a deal that I’d drop a down payment and he’d save it till the new year when I’d be able to get down there to pay the rest and get it trailered up…. oooorrr spend the week with it at my sisters getting a few things straight to drive it home!

Anyway, check is in the mail. I am super stoked to start this new chapter even if it physically resembles an older chapter.

I’ll be dropping as many photos as possible here in the new year and I hope to see some of you on the road this summer!

IMG_2248.JPG

Nice, congrats! And of course you my friend are now climbing the "you suck" list.

Sweet! Let me know if you spend time in Big D with her. I'd love to
Swing by and take a look! And if the weather is good one of my classics will accompany.

Nice car, one of the few from the era I have not owned yet. Glad to see you back in some classic Chrysler iron.

Also, gotta love my wife. When I told her I bit on it, she asks "How are we gonna get it home?" And I said "Prolly ship it. I mean I'd love to road trip it back but I'd need A couple of days to prep it for that kind of trip."

"F**k that." She says. "We're road tripping it."

See always listen to your wife.
I'll never doubt again... of course my ex wife made fun of my last monaco... so on her maiden voyage in it I kicked it sideways in second gear on a city street n scared the hell out of her. Good riddance!

Thankfully my new wife thinks this is the sexiest thing ever:
00t0t_4r7FdAsjA5V_1200x900.jpg

AND she refuses to drive automatics so she'll never want behind the wheel.

Last edited:
See always listen to your wife.

If I did that, I'd have at least five more cars. Ellie has NO resistance.
I will show her something, saying "this is nice", and her response is, " Let's go get it....".

Being the midpoint between the purchase of my new girl and her delivery, I got a nice little package in the mail yesterday including:

Present title
Previous title
Original title
Original order-out sheet (hand written)
Official order sheet
Window Sticker
All correspondences from original dealer
Original Owners Manual
Another Owners Manual from a different car from a different dealer
Lil plastic envelope for keeping maintenance receipts
A fist fill of maintenance receipts

By all accounts, the gentleman who originally purchased this car loved the hell out of it. He only put about 10,000 (records show last oil change in his care at about 7,000 .. every 3,000 before that like clock work) on it before it sat and was moved on to another member of the family where the bulk of mileage was put on .. then on to the gentleman who sold it to me.

All really neat stuff to see! Funny that this car was better documented with 100,000 on it and 3 owners than my 68 which was one owner with 24,000. Either way, it's clear that they were both loved.

Dying to get into it's history more. The son of the second owner already contacted me through FCBO when he noticed the car was up for sale and told me a lot about it.

Once i can get hold of my scanner, i'll put some docs up on the official thread for the car... once I get the car ...

Transport is 25 minutes out. She'll be on the truck today! Mighty fine feeling, my friends. Gonna be an awesome summer of wrenching and cruising! Stay tuned for onslaught of images.

Back