For Sale Beautiful '62 Newport, but a little high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Bets one I saw yesterday. However, what is a New Port? I think his price is high for a no-option car with a NOM.

1962 Chrysler New Port 2 Door Hardtop

1962 Chrysler New Port 2 Door Hardtop - $26500 hide this posting
image 1 of 8
00O0O_aCKRwu9ADTl_600x450.jpg

1962 chrysler

fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

1962 Chrysler Newport 2-Door Hardtop.
Engine is a early 1970s 440ci. with 3 speed push button Torque flite transmission.
Has power steering and power brakes.
Has 300 grill.
Very nice straight body with perfect fit and finish.
Interior in excellent condition.

For more information call show contact info

Located in Walnut Creek

Price $26,500

this car does have at least one option.............automatic tranny....although i'd prefer the trans to be not optional.

I think it's cool, interior and all - just too high of a price. My complaint is the 440; I'd rather have a 383 or 413.

A '62 Newport would have come standard with a FIREBOLT 361 V-8, a New Yorker would have had a FIREPOWER 340 413 V-8 as standard engine. Not sure on optional engines in '62 for a Newport, my literature doesn't show an optional engine but surely there was an option?

To be realistic this car is overpriced. To be realistic I'm not sure my car would be worth that money.
'62 300.jpg

A '62 Newport would have come standard with a FIREBOLT 361 V-8, a New Yorker would have had a FIREPOWER 340 413 V-8 as standard engine. Not sure on optional engines in '62 for a Newport, my literature doesn't show an optional engine but surely there was an option?

According to Wikapedia, you could get any option available on a 300 on a Newport except the 4 bucket seats, console and tach.
That would include 383 and 413 single 4 and dual 4 barrel engines.

From Wikapedia:

1961–1964

"Chrysler revived the Newport name for their new, full-size entry-level model for 1961. At a base price of $2,964 (equal to $23,995 today), the Newport was the least expensive Chrysler model, intended to appeal to owners of the discontinued DeSoto brand. While the Newport was successful and comprised the bulk of Chrysler production, the base Newport sedans were detrimmed versions of Chrysler's traditional upscale models, featuring small hubcaps instead of full-wheel covers, plain interiors and a minimal amount of exterior trim. The perception of an inexpensive Chrysler hurt the marque in the long run by cheapening the brand's cachet. By contrast, the next model up, the New Yorker, retailed for $4,870 (equal to $39,426 today)[9]

In 1961, the Newport was available as a two-door convertible, two-door hardtop, four-door sedan, four-door hardtop and four-door station wagon. The base engine for the Newport was the 361 cu in (5.9 L) V8 engine rated at 265 hp (198 kW; 269 PS). Optional was the 413 cu in (6.8 L) and the 383 cu in (6.3 L) that was mostly used in the Town and Country station wagons. All Newports could have been ordered with the 413 either single or dual four-bbl carbs and most of the 300 letter car options, except the four bucket seats, center console, and tachometer.

Station wagons from 1961 through 1964 featured hardtop body styling, with no "B" pillar. The canted headlight approach was previously used by Lincoln, and briefly by Buick, but by 1961 when this generation was introduced the feature was unique to Chrysler.

The 1962 model year Chryslers continued to use the 1961 body, but were shorn of their tailfins.

The Newport was restyled alongside the New Yorker and Chrysler 300 for 1963, with this body style continuing for 1964.

The 1963 model year was a major restyle without any tail fins. The 1964s saw the return of small, chrome-topped fins."

Kevin

Thanks, that's probably accurate info but I tend to only trust the factory literature and even then, sometimes it has errors in it too.

Trouble is, my '62 Chrysler factory brochure doesn't go into a lot of detail on engine options for the Newport, it just talks about the standard 361. But more than likely, you're right, a 383 or 413 could have been ordered too. :thankyou:

I know my '63 Newport had a 361 in it.

Yes, the 383 and 413 were options for the Newport in '62.

My point about the 440 is, if you're going to swap in an NOM motor, I would have rather had a 383 or 413. Personally, I'm sick of 440s (especially in E Bodies) - and my Newport has one. Not original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back