Brake light on

badattitude10

Reaction score
Hey gurus, I need help on how to reset brake light on in my 1974 plymouth fury iii 400cid 6.6l. Also the damn thing keeps blowing fuses, especially the dorm light

Reset the warning light on the instrument panel? Why did it come on in the first place?

Dome light causing its fuse to blow? Must be a "short to ground". Does the fuse blow when the doors open and the light comes on or if you use the headlight switch to turn it on manually? There's a reason new fuses are needed. Might there be a map light involved, too?

For reference, you might go over to www.mymopar.com and look for the newest car service manual in their library. Download it as the wiring schematics are in them. I suspect a Formal will generally "wire" the same as a Fuselage? In any event, you can chase the circuits and such to get an idea of how things operate. I suspect that how the wires are routed might change a bit with the Formals, but not the wiring insulator colors and tracers.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.
CBODY67

The brake light came on after the brake master cylinder overhaul. The fuse got cooked when i use turn signals

Regarding the brake light. I assume you mean the one on the dash.

That serves two purposes. One is a warning that there is a problem with the brake hydraulic system. The other is much simpler. It tells you if the parking brake is on.

So here's the first thing you do.... Reach down and grab the parking brake pedal and pull up while pulling the brake release handle with your other hand. I'll bet it goes out.

You may have to reset the switch in the combination valve. You will find the info in the service free service manual at www.mymopar.com
Are you able to bleed your brakes?
This is a GM video but Chysler used the Kelsey Hays iron valve as well.

Hey good people! Thank you for all your ideas on how to reset the brake light on the dash. The issue was resetting the proportioning valve, I had to turn the car on/accessory then press the brake pedal all the way to the floor then released it slowly that is according to owners manual. This car is about to mess my brains up man. After fixing the brake light, i got no dash lights, and the sucker shakes when starting it, then it stops after it gets warmed up. At some point it died on me when i shift the gear from parking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20240517_182731.jpg

20240517_182655.jpg

20240517_182631.jpg

20240517_182558.jpg

Back