Chrysler B Engine casting pad decoding??

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
Hello and greetings once again.

I realize there are many posts regarding decoding of Block casting pads, but I have not seen a post that describes the full extent of what kind of block I'm in possession of, it'd be great if you can assist me in decoding some of the listed pad numbers.

The "V" I have found out is 1964

But I have not found out what the "36" means, maybe 361??

Then at the bottom pad numbering I have got either it's a "10" or "1" and "0" and "2"
Maybe date casting?

Yes, I realize the block is cracked.
Side of the block shows:
"2205712-4"

A bit of research show's a B 361 with the side casting number, more of the mystery is the casting pad at the front of the engine.

I know this is an unremarkable engine block, but decoding the Block is quite intriguing!

A zoomed and a non zoomed up picture is provided below.

Thanks.

PXL_20240809_193940231.jpg

PXL_20240809_193940231~2.jpg

PXL_20240809_203609208.jpg

Last edited:
361. Most of the time the just stamped 2 numbers. The V is an indicator for something done to the block at the factory. For example an X might indicate the crank was .010 under or something like that. I will see if I can find the link that explains all of it.

What's CAST into the side of the block identifies it as a particular casting, then the time clock for which shift it was cast in, and such. There are a couple of threads in here on casting numbers in other locations, too. In the case of Chrysler B/RB engines, the casting number will relate to bore diameter and deck height, which both relate to CID.

The pad at the front of the engine details things related to the MACHINING of the block, a few things of which are mentioned in the front of or in the engine area of the factory service manual. The items there will be stamped. There can also be another location near the oil pressure sending unit that can be the machining date, plus the VIN on later model year blocks (as an anti-theft measure).

Hope this might help better indicate what's what.

CBODY67

361. Most of the time the just stamped 2 numbers. The V is an indicator for something done to the block at the factory. For example an X might indicate the crank was .010 under or something like that. I will see if I can find the link that explains all of it.
Awesome, that'd be great thanks.

Last edited:
What's CAST into the side of the block identifies it as a particular casting, then the time clock for which shift it was cast in, and such. There are a couple of threads in here on casting numbers in other locations, too. In the case of Chrysler B/RB engines, the casting number will relate to bore diameter and deck height, which both relate to CID.

The pad at the front of the engine details things related to the MACHINING of the block, a few things of which are mentioned in the front of or in the engine area of the factory service manual. The items there will be stamped. There can also be another location near the oil pressure sending unit that can be the machining date, plus the VIN on later model year blocks (as an anti-theft measure).

Hope this might help better indicate what's what.

CBODY67
Appreciate it, thanks.
I'll clean off the rest of the gack off of the block with the area's you mentioned & refer to the FSM.

Thank you very much for the help
@MONC440 , @CBODY67.

The block has been identified as:

V = 1964
36 = 361
10/2 = October 2nd

Interesting how there are no other indications of the block receiving other machine work done to it.

Last edited:
Back