ETR valve

The screen fits under the gasket with the spring and tab and points down into the suction tube (away from the compressor). You are missing the ETR valve which contacts the spring and fits into the suction port on the compressor. The ETR valve is a solenoid that is energized via the wire connecting to the tab and spring (which contacts the ETR valve). This is a picture of the ETR valve inserted into the suction port. The spring goes over the slotted fitting on the valve to make electrical contact.

View attachment 661386
Yes, I learned a lot on getting this correct. I now have two of the correct ETR valves, and screens, gaskets. I have rebuilt a compressor and have several on the shop floor for other cars. Getting the front seal in the compressor is a tricky feat so that it bdoes not bind up.

Hi. This might not help You anymore, but since You asked it I tested late model ETR(EPR) from 78 ATC II (Pictured in FSM page). Cooled in the freezer. The valve was rock solid at 32F, opening only small amount. In higher temperatures, stem moves freely against the spring pressure. I judge this as a valid bench test. This of course does not make the valve new, but made me more confident to install it before AC recharge.

IMG_20240616_213524.jpg
flir_20240616T191553.jpg

Back