Front end suspension

badattitude10

Reaction score
Hey good people, it's me again, so I was like it's time to change my 50yrs front upper control arms bushings. However, I got a situation with them bushings, I can't get the right tool for this application. I was just thinking of getting a new set of upper control arms instead of fighting with them old bushings. Now the bigger part of the problem is, I can't get them on ebay, summit racing, rock auto etc. Kindly, if anyone has any leads/help or any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

20240811_170735.jpg

20240811_170729.jpg

20240811_170724.jpg

Those bushings come out with a press and go in with a press.
Since I have never owned a press a vice and a socket slightly smaller that the hole has worked well for me several times.

The ball joints are more easily removed with the arm still on the car. You need something to hold against your leverage.

Don't let the job Intimidate you.

What makes the Chrysler upper control arm functionally and assembly-wise different from Chevrolet upper control arms? Just curious.

As I recall, unless something has changed, upper control arm bushings should be available, maybe not from the eBay vendors you are shopping, but should be around. Which is why my FIRST shopping place is www.rockauto.com. Usually lots of different vendors and pricing to consider and look at.

As I recall, most of the available upper control arm bushings are designed with an "offset" in them to allow for things like "use changes" in the suspension support items. I first heard about that on GM intermediate cars, going all the way back to '55 Chevy cars and especially in the later 1960s 396-454 cars. Just as an advisory. Might also be used to gain a bit more caster? Not sure.

Chrysler might list a "special tool" in the FSM, but I somewhat doubt any still exist in the world. Which means a more universal item is needed. Maybe even for rental at some chain auto supply stores? Seems like I have known people to use a torch to burn the rubber and then deform the outer bushing shell for removal? Then installing the new bushing. "Shadetree method".

Keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

You say this is a slab car but my '67 Monaco doesn't have that rod with the 2 holes going through the upper control arm bushings. What year and what car are we talking about here?

(that rod looks like a nightmare to take out and put in - I'm glad I don't have it - does it improve ride / handling ?)

Cbody67 - I think badattitude10 is saying that he'd rather buy a complete unit - upper arms fully assembled with bushings - but nobody sells that. But I don't recall ever seeing anyone selling the factory upper arms with new bushings... ?

Last edited:
Back