How many of you have...

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
...owned big luxury cars from all of the Big Three? All at the same time? In the late '90s, I had just finished a beautiful resto on a straight '67 GMC Suburban and enjoyed the finished product for about a year. At the same time, I had a '73 Imperial I had bought at the Kruse auction in 1997 for the princely sum of $450.00. I was bored with the 'Burb, and was looking for a replacement. I took the '67 to the next Kruse auction, where it bid at the then-high price of $10K, but still did not meet my reserve. A seller with a '62 Lincoln Continental ragtop offered to trade me straight-up! And so, I did. Now, my garage had a very nice B5 Imperial four-door and a goldish-green Lincoln droptop!

A couple of weeks later, a friend called with a '66 Coupe deVille he was selling, looking for leads. I knew the car, and really liked it. I bought that for a very reasonable price, and drove the white beauty home. Now, I had the Imp, the Lincoln, and a Caddy! Over 1,295 cubic inches of smooth power, fifty-eight feet of sheer luxury, and fifteen-thousand pounds of turnpike cruisability! And who knows how many cows gave up their hides for these three!

By the middle of 2000, I had sold all three cars. The Imperial went to a gentleman in Kansas, where he repainted the car in the original blue and got the Auto-Temp II working like a charm. The Lincoln went to a collector in San Jose, California, who flew out to look at it, paid me, and had a hauler there a week later to get the ragtop. The Cadillac went to a twenty-something in Austin, Texas, so no telling what happened to that car!

I've had a 1972 Caprice and an 1988 Caprice.......hardly luxury cars. LOL!

I have never owned a FWD car in my life. I have to have them big and RWD.
Aside from some weird VW's, my wife has only owned 1.

The Imperial went to a gentleman in Kansas, where he got the Auto-Temp II working like a charm
I don't believe you. LOL!

1974 Buick LeSabre sport coupe & 1975 LeSabre convertible both had 455's. in them.

buick_lesabre_luxus_hardtop_coupe_1974.jpg

images

Last edited:
I a 62 Olds 98 that had a beautiful dash and sold it to my brother. A 69 coupe deville it threw a rod at 115k,2002 STS Cadillac (junk pile),76 Town car (great car) 81 town car(junk ),2 Mark 5's (great cars),69,77 NYB (great cars), 69 polara wagon (9 passenger) first car.
This for you Stan 1976 NYB Pro Tour. Not bad with them painted.

new yorker painted 005.jpg

new yorker painted 007.jpg

Last edited:
Never at the same time, but I've had GM and Chrysler. Prior to my Imperial, I had a '65 Cadillac.

Pics of the Lincoln?

Nothing digital, this was back in the film camera days. I know I have some of both the Imperial and the Lincoln, but I do not believe I have one of the Cadillac.

@Stan - I sat in the car at a show in Topeka, KS while it was running. You could hang meat in that car, it was that cold.

My first car was a 1968 Chevy Impala Super Sport. I got it working for my older brother, and he took out the 427 that was in it. Me and a buddy put in a 396 four speed, actually a couple of times, don't ask why. It was a dog, high geared rear end and I didn't know much about cars then. We drove it to Florida from upstate NY. I drove it for awhile until it started knocking like a mother. I moved to Colorado with a girlfriend, later wife. My older brother sold it while I was gone.

Back