Lead shot

jake

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of putting lead shot or lead sinkers in their gas tanks, on the theory that the lead will slowly dissolve and make its way to the motor?

I don't think ANY of us need to worry about lead in the fuel. You should worry about the ethanol though.

It sounds about as useful as adding butter, salt and pepper to take advantage of the corn alcohol.

The only thing I know that breaks lead down chemically would be an acidity high enough to eat your steel lines. Most everybody with copper water supply pipes has lead solder joints, and if enough lead was getting into the water, you'd see the lawyers out in force. In fact, my city regularly tests 4% of homes with supply lines made entirely of lead, per the EPA. Way more common than you probably know.

Now add some acidity, and that game changes.

How did lead stay in solution in the old style gas?

I think the phrase you're looking for is "stay in suspension", and that sounds like a question for Mr. Google. But that's a different question than dissolving it. I also believe it was "tetraeythl lead" (sp?), an alloy rather than pure lead, which may be part of the answer.

Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation and it's worth mentioning that tetraethyllead is extremely toxic and something you don't want to try at home.

TEL is produced by reacting chloroethane with a sodiumlead alloy.[7]

4 NaPb + 4 CH3CH2Cl → (CH3CH2)4Pb + 4 NaCl + 3 Pb
TEL is also produced by reacting Ethylmagnesium Iodide with Lead chloride.

4C2H5Mg-I + 2PbCl2 → (C2H5)4Pb + Pb + MgICl
The product is recovered by steam distillation, leaving a sludge of lead and sodium chloride. TEL is a viscous colorless liquid. Because TEL is charge neutral and contains an exterior of alkyl groups, it is highly lipophilic and soluble in petrol (gasoline).

Despite decades of research, no reactions were found to improve upon this rather difficult process that involves metallic sodium and converts only 25% of the lead to TEL.

------------------------------

if-lead-shot-k12kqv.jpg

The only use for lead shot (other than hunting) is to put it in your tires to eliminate the need for external balancing weights on fancy rims.

We use balance beads in steer tires on our trucks, but we use ceramic, haven't heard of lead used in them.

TEL is produced by reacting chloroethane with a sodiumlead alloy.[7]

4 NaPb + 4 CH3CH2Cl → (CH3CH2)4Pb + 4 NaCl + 3 Pb
TEL is also produced by reacting Ethylmagnesium Iodide with Lead chloride.

4C2H5Mg-I + 2PbCl2 → (C2H5)4Pb + Pb + MgICl
The product is recovered by steam distillation, leaving a sludge of lead and sodium chloride. TEL is a viscous colorless liquid. Because TEL is charge neutral and contains an exterior of alkyl groups, it is highly lipophilic and soluble in petrol (gasoline).

Despite decades of research, no reactions were found to improve upon this rather difficult process that involves metallic sodium and converts only 25% of the lead to TEL.

------------------------------

if-lead-shot-k12kqv.jpg

Thanks for the detailed explanation I was going to mention that it is introduced in the distillation process, originally to stabilize the gasoline if I remember reading that correctly. Then later found to improve octane rating and lubricate valves and seats, then even later found to be poisoning everyone.

In the movie "The World's Fastest Indian," the guy drops one of his nitro pills into his tank before he made his Bonneville run. I think putting lead in your tank will give the same return: none. Sounds like someone has told you an old tale.

Back