Let's talk power antennas

Nibiru

Reaction score
Hi,

when I got my '73 Imperial, it was already missing the R48 power antenna. I've been searching for a replacement for a while now and found someone who has one for sale but doesn't know if it still works. I'm maybe going to buy it even if it doesn't work but that brings me to the question: Are there actually any new replacements for these or something that can be adapted to look stock? If I had to take a wild guess, I would say not- like obviously lots of C-body parts. Unfortunately I have not even seen a picture of one so everybody could potentially sell me his antenna as a "factory correct". Also, the one that I found for sale is fully extended- So just in case it doesn't work and it needs to be retracted for shipping, can it be pushed in by hand without braking anything ?

Thanks,
Mike

The mast is connected to nothing more than a .80 string trimmer line that is reeled in or out by the drum on the side. If you push it in manually it will break the line, same if you pull it out by hand. I only know this because I destroyed mine. Also, these don't fully retract flush with the fender. Someone not knowing would think it is broken and then push and snap it. I've never seen an after market that works or looks quite right. The chrome bezel is also unique to C-body's, '69-'73.

Power antennas, back then, were considered to be a "luxury option". When retracted, they were supposed to not interfere with the beauty of the base vehicle, as a more upscale look of sorts.

There were some power antennas, for aftermarket installation, which might work well, but did not completely match the OEM look of the factory items. Although they might have had the same reception as the stainless steel 31" antennas Chrysler used back then, I am not sure of that or know of any comments to that effect. Still, I would trust the basic stainless steel antenna to have better reception, personally.

Knowing how hard the power antennas might be to replace/remove, I might vote for a normal fixed-length antenna for a replacement, but that is me.

If looking for an OEM Chrysler power antenna, I would have the seller take picture of the unit AND its Chrysler part number, which is hopefully stamped on the motor end of the antenna assy. Then cross-ref that number in the Chrysler parts books. Perhaps MoparShop might help?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Here are some pics, the broken antenna is from a ‘73 New Yorker and the good one is from a ‘70 Newport, but I think they were all the same for C Bodies, ‘69-‘73.

Broken:

IMG_2451.jpeg

Note the string trimmer line:

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

Here is a complete one fully retracted:

IMG_2454.jpeg

Correct bezel and retainer:

IMG_2455.jpeg

Here it is in place on a ‘73 NYB:

IMG_2219.jpeg

Thanks for the pics, that will help a lot ! In my search for the antenna I found this offer for a mast tube for the antenna removed from a '73 Imperial. Is your antenna missing that part or is it maybe just an Imperial thing ? On another thread on here though I read that on Imperials the antenna did fully retract as there was more space available.

Here's a pic of the tube:

Unbenannt.JPG

In reality, the antenna's "guts" (motor) can be common to many Chrysler products and possibly some other brands, too. I seem to recall that the original "string trimmer line" was hollow rather than solid?

Past the motor, the items which went on top of that could be specific to several models, with the "tube" basically being what the antenna mast collapses into. From there, the upper bezel and under-fender supports make up the "top side" of things, which CAN be model specific (fender contours and such). PLUS any side brackets/braces which might attach to the inner fender housing or rear quarter panel/trunk floor area to steady it in operation.

The motor is a simple reversible electric motor. The metal hook on the bottom of the flexible tube can become detached from the flex tube. Might not be hard to re-attach, whether by compression and/or adhesive? This tended to be a common failure point on the GM power antennas, it seemed.

Past that, it's a pretty simple item to deal with, just a bit strange looking to some.

Usually, the collapsible mast was in three or four sections. The flex tube attached to the top section itself, which then moved the other sections. Not sure how those things operated, just that they went up or down.

In general, I suspect that if the motor runs but the mast does not move, it's due to the separation of the hook from the flex tube. KEY thing is that the motor runs.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

That's the whole antenna that I have. The tube does separate and is probably interchangeable from model to model, but I think the base motor is the same. I would imagine that the Imperial antenna does fully retract into the fender with the correct tube.

I have an entire NOS assembly for a 70s Chrysler. This was after they shortened them to be 31” extended. Do you have any interest?

Here are the pics from the FSM showing the different tube lengths for Chrysler vs Imperial. There is even instructions on how to replace the mast, but like I said earlier, they are easy to break.

IMG_2456.jpeg
IMG_2457.jpeg

I don't know if this applies to the '73 or not. I can really only say what I learned from my '70 300.

The entire antenna assembly is short. Again, I only have my '70 as reference. The reason for this is the antenna has to fit between the A/C box and blower motor on the firewall and the inner fender. The space there is very tight.

@Samplingman 's pic shows how short it is.

1717625526666.png

This is a pic of my car with the front end sheet metal off. Note the size of the A/C box and how far it protrudes away from the firewall.

The hole for the manual antenna is located a bit rearward from what I've seen, but I never followed up to see if that held true across the line.

NCM_0578_zps0sivvauq.jpg

For a '72/73 car, I'm really not sure if it was the same antenna or not.

Aftermarket antennas won't fit as they are too long.

For later "Formal" 1974-78, the antenna is back to the longer length and it won't fit.

Pic courtesy @commando1

1717625647126.png

it looks like the NOS assembly that I have is for the Formal cars. I was going to use it in my 1968 Imperial, but never installed it. I’ve had it since the 1980s.

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

I have an NOS power antenna in the original box, part number is faded away. It's the long tube. I believe it's for 74, but not sure. I've listed it a couple Mopar websites. I'll find the pics and listing for you. 325.00.

I can measure the tube length for you if you want and send more pics of it. I paid like 375 for it a few years back, was searching for an NOS power antenna for my 65 300L, this was listed for a 65 but is completely wrong for my 65.

I have a power antenna as well that I bought from a member here for my 77 NYB. It works fine but Didn’t fit, too short.. il Post some pics if you want.. it may work for you.

Back