WANTED Looking for a Fender plate / Trim tag for a 65 Sport Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not sure if someone repops these but my 1965 Sport Fury is missing it's Trim plate or firewall data plate. Would prefer one from a 383 quipped 4 speed Sport Fury with 3.23 suregrip rear end but will consider others.

Thanks, Andy

Confused....

A trim plate off another car will not be accurate for YOUR car. The paint and interior difference will make it look like YOU changed things.

If you just want a tag to fill space that will, obviously, be wrong, go with something really goofy like a /6 four door Dart.

Either way, the tag is wrong but the second way really messes with guys like me and it's a lot more fun for you.

Well, I am at least hoping for something pretty close. There isn't a VIN on that tag from what I have seen without looking very close. My interior and exterior colors will be changing from the terrible brownish gold exterior and brown interior it was manufactured with. Actually going with a light metallic blue with black interior.

Well, I am at least hoping for something pretty close. There isn't a VIN on that tag from what I have seen without looking very close. My interior and exterior colors will be changing from the terrible brownish gold exterior and brown interior it was manufactured with. Actually going with a light metallic blue with black interior.

The Sales order number on your body will not match the sales order number on the tag.

Your best options are:
No tag; actually not a bad thing on a complete color and interior change
Going through Chrysler Historical, getting the build info for your car and having a new tag made. ( time and money for a possible bad tag)
Funny tag as mentioned in post two. (Drives people crazy but fun for you)

The worst option is probably putting a tag from a different 65 Fury on your car.

Yes, no tag is better than a tag from another car. A completely incorrect tag might be funny, but who are you playing the joke on? If you are changing things up, who really cares about the tag anyway. I have my original tag, but it hasn't been on the car in nearly 40 years and I can't recall ever being asked about it.

I understand everyone's point of view. I honestly would prefer to have one from a 383, Auto (prefer a 4 speed since I am converting it) and 3.23 suregrip drive train Sport Fury. When I got the car all that was there was 2 tiny screws. I am after all completely redoing the engine compartment and replacing the small section of firewall effected by the small engine fire from one of my parts cars so welding the holes up while working on the firewall is not an issue.

Still looking

I understand everyone's point of view. I honestly would prefer to have one from a 383, Auto (prefer a 4 speed since I am converting it) and 3.23 suregrip drive train Sport Fury. When I got the car all that was there was 2 tiny screws. I am after all completely redoing the engine compartment and replacing the small section of firewall effected by the small engine fire from one of my parts cars so welding the holes up while working on the firewall is not an issue.

Still looking

Andy, two last questions....

Do you understand the purpose of the tag, it's uniqueness, and why it's there in the first place?
What's the motivation for finding one?

I am assuming from my experience with Fords and Chevy's that it states the build information such as engine, transmission, rear differential data as well as exterior color and possibly trim level and interior color as well as trim level. A lot can be found out about a Ford or Chevy this way from my experience and this is the first vehicle I have ever had which does not have one. It must be important to several folks because I have purchased two parts cars and seen three others and all of them have the plate in question missing. Obviously removed by someone since rust was not the cause for them being gone.

Who knows, I might run across someone here which has one which has the same build data mine has regardless of sales order number which no one would know what that means anyway.

The Mopar tags are specific to each car, up to 68 the shipping order number is on it and this should match the numbers stamped on the car, 69 on it was the VIN.

A wise buyer might notice the mismatched tag.

Alan

The fender tag is a unique, permanent (sans rust) factory document on a car that tells specific information about that specific car. It is one item that, informed, buyers do look at when they purchase a car as the tag will match the body.

I can't speak to other brands but altered, badly reproduced or simply wrong tags on a Mopar raise questions of fraud and deceit as the tag misrepresents how the car was actually built. "Wrong tags" are generally frowned upon especially in years where the VIN tags are spot welded to the body and easily changed. A wrong tag could raise questions of a VIN swap also.

Sometimes, not having a tag is better and safer in the long run.

Yep. I'm a tag geek. To me, swapping a fender tag is the equivalent of swapping a tombstone. The tag is the one item a car can call uniquely its own.

Please think long and hard about the implications of placing a similar, but wrong, tag on your car.

If you have to have a tag, consider a custom tag that is obviously not real and can't be confused with an original. Or, find one off something that's obviously wrong for your car, like a /6 Duster.

My two cents.

Am I missing the point here? What the heck do you need the tag for? If it doesn't belong to your specific car, it's worthless. I just don't get it.
The fender tag doesn't make it worth any more, especially if it's bogus.
WTF?

Probably not so much on our C-bodies but I think a lot of these tags hit the circular file at the same time the original valve covers, air cleaners and exhaust manifolds did in an attempt to pretty up the engine room. Thank you Hot Rod and Car Craft...

When I initiated this thread I never considered it ever going in this direction. I feel having one off a Sport Fury with the same drive train and not so much the colors matching would be more to my liking than not having anything. My personal preference.

When I peer into an open hood of a MOPAR my mind automatically makes my eyes go in the direction of the fender tag area. If it's missing I tend to become judgmental and lose any interest in looking at anything else about the car. No matter how nice. I am on the fence about adding just any tag to fill the spot.
So if it doesn't have a tag or it has the wrong tag are those condemnable offenses? Have we reached a point that if the tag is missing the only option is to junk the vehicle? I certainly hope not. I beleive if the owner feels better that if he can find ANY tag or at least one that has a few common similarities to his vehicle it will make HIM feel better I personally do not see a problem. Providing if and when he ever sells the vehicle he discloses that info with the new owner.Although not as important as a fender tag I have 2 late 60s Newport convertibles that have the original Certicards still in their holders and mounted to the radiator supports. Obviously the names on those cards aren't mine so is that enough reason to remove them? I think not. Just my opinion.

After having a couple old cars going on 20 years, I'm glad my cars have their fender tags. I get to see how they were, and they will stay with the cars even though they won't end up the way the tag says it should be. It will kinda look like what Andy I'd trying to do, but my car will be the one that can with the tag. I'd prefer to see it without one rather than replace it with one from another car, but I'm splitting hairs with my argument. I'll never add one to a car that doesn't have one. I still look at all Mopars tag or not, plenty of cool.rides that don't have a tag.

When I peer into an open hood of a MOPAR my mind automatically makes my eyes go in the direction of the fender tag area. If it's missing I tend to become judgmental and lose any interest in looking at anything else about the car. No matter how nice. I am on the fence about adding just any tag to fill the spot.

So if it doesn't have a tag or it has the wrong tag are those condemnable offenses? No and yes.

Have we reached a point that if the tag is missing the only option is to junk the vehicle? No

I certainly hope not. I beleive if the owner feels better that if he can find ANY tag or at least one that has a few common similarities to his vehicle it will make HIM feel better I personally do not see a problem. Yes. How an individual "feels" has become the most important thing in society. We'd sure hate for someone to "feel" badly or "left out" because they don't have something that someone else has and "feel" inadequate.

Providing if and when he ever sells the vehicle he discloses that info with the new owner. Yes. That's always a good rationale to do something. You're dead and the survivors have to sell the car, have no knowledge, or care, about documentation. Faulty info isn't disclosed and passed on.

Although not as important as a fender tag I have 2 late 60s Newport convertibles that have the original Certicards still in their holders and mounted to the radiator supports. Obviously the names on those cards aren't mine so is that enough reason to remove them? Nope. The cards belong to the car, not the subsequent owners.

I think not. Just my opinion. Mine too..

Just so we're clear, I'm not big on screwing with tags and other documents.

You're mileage may vary.

Here Andy, how bout using something like this? lol

upload_2017-4-30_20-18-7-png.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back