My 1968 Chrysler Newport “Success Special “

realman334bama

Reaction score
I purchased this car about a year and half ago. I am the second registered owner. It was purchased near Birmingham, Alabama. In the glove box of the car was some various documents, including service records. I have build sheets still in perfect condition also. Car had 85,XXX original miles when I bought it, but now has a little over 86,000. I can’t find much information on it while online. I joined with hopes that someone here has more knowledge about the car than I have.

How about a pic of the car and the fender tag? That is a good place to start.

How about a pic of the car and the fender tag? That is a good place to start.

image.jpg

image.jpg

"Success Special"? Was that some sort of sales promotion from back then? Regional in nature rather than national?

Car looks good,
CBODY67

It looks like your car may be a spring special. It came in seafoam turquoise metallic paint with a white or black vinyl top. The interior would be white seats with turquoise inserts, white door panels and turquoise carpeting. Your exterior looks correct. Do you have the white/turquoise interior?

It looks like your car may be a spring special. It came in seafoam turquoise metallic paint with a white or black vinyl top. The interior would be white seats with turquoise inserts, white door panels and turquoise carpeting. Your exterior looks correct. Do you have the white/turquoise interior?
Yes it does have the white/turquoise vinyl seats, aqua carpet also still have factory turquoise plastic floor mats.

I have th 1968 “Spring Success flyer”, which I previously posted

The below says 4 other colors available.
Does your brochure list them? It's a bit blurry.
I wonder if the other 4 colors had color-coordinated seatcovers, or if it was just the turquoise cars?

1725292491633.png

The below says 4 other colors available.
Does your brochure list them? It's a bit blurry.
I wonder if the other 4 colors had color-coordinated seatcovers, or if it was just the turquoise cars?

View attachment 679986

sorry. here's where I got it. Bottom of the ad.

I had never. before here, heard of/seen a '68 Newport with two tone interior from factory. I looked for some "other color", and found a Newport custom with two-tone green (but not "all-vinyl") ... dunno if that also was a spring special vs. regular 68 Newp RPO available year-round.

"Special" Editions

1725296475390.png
1725297652976.png

1725296912948.png
1725296929073.png

Last edited:
sorry. here's where I got it. Bottom of the ad.

I had never. before here, heard of/seen a '68 Newport with two tone interior from factory. I looked for some "other color", and found a Newport custom with two-tone green (but not "all-vinyl") ... dunno if that also was a spring special vs. regular 68 Newp RPO available year-round.

"Special" Editions

View attachment 679989View attachment 679997

View attachment 679991View attachment 679992
I have no ideal, but I’m hoping someone on here can provide more information. I am interested myself in finding out as much as I can.

I was anticipating @JC68vert300 would see if his brochure specified the other colors.
I had to go pull it out of the file folder. It does not mention any other exterior paint color. as a matter of fact, the brochure-mailer, as can be seen above, shows the 1st prize as a 2 door hardtop in seafoam turquoise metallic and is coded on realman334bama’s fender tag under paint as 441.i am assuming this was a model specific, special color as it doesn’t match my 68 Chrysler Corp Color chart, the paints all started with a letter, mine being HH1 Antique Ivory and the closet color would be Mist Turquoise poly which is coded KK1. Also, the brochure states it is available as a 2 door or 4 door hardtop. No mention of the Newport convertible or sedan as options for this special.

Somebody might surprrise many of us and produce a photo of one of those other 1968 Spring Special Newps in some color other than turquoise. That would be something.

Heck, I'd settle just for knowing the other colors -- if only by name.

Back