Need a matched set of A/C belts

NewportTM

Reaction score
I am needing to replace my A/C, ALT belts on my 1966 Newport. Is there a company out there anywhere that can guarantee that I will receive a matched set of belts. Or does anyone have any suggestions. The belts are getting real close to the top radiator hose.

Thanks !!!

Huh? What is a "matched" set?
Belts that were manufactured at the same time. I bought a set of two. Same part#, but one is very floppy and I am afraid it is going to slap into the upper radiator hose. I also drag race. When we purchase slicks we ask for a matched set. We are looking for an outer diameter almost if not the exact same.

Never saw belts with Lot numbers.....
So, you must mean you're looking for belts packaged as a set.
Hmm... Never saw that. Always sold individually.....

I have never seen them either. The mechanic that fixed my a/c told me that's what I needed to look for. I did find two matched sets for a Ford. Different part# and length. That's not going to do me any good though.

I've seen matched sets at AAP when I worked there. Two belts packaged together. Never had any complaints that one was longer than the other. The Army supply system had matched belt sets for years until everything converted to serpentine belts.

Used to be able to buy matched sets at any parts store. They would be banded together with a band that said "matched set"

I think Matched Sets have gone where your socks go when she puts 'um in the dryer. If your belts are dancing just fab a reverse pulley bracket and stick it between between the compressor and the alternator and walla problem solved, no touchy, no dancy. Think I'm kidding? Why do you think when Jenson started stuffing 440s in those cute little Jensons every 440 they mounted in one had a special bracket that set up a reverse pulley just where I'm talking about! Jer

I just got off the phone with Randy at Bouchillon Performance to order my A/C stuff and I asked about matched set belts. He said that Gates stopped doing that a few years ago... So that answers that question.

I just got off the phone with Randy at Bouchillon Performance to order my A/C stuff and I asked about matched set belts. He said that Gates stopped doing that a few years ago... So that answers that question.
Thank you for the info. Sounds like I am going to have to fab a tensioner.

Yeah, they stopped the "matched set" thing a few years back. Their reasoning - as told to me - was that manufacturing capabilities now were so good that they didn't need to do it any more. (For you youngers, the last set of matched belts I bought personally was ~ 20 years ago.)
Mike

I bought my last matched set about 10 years ago.

You're right.... belt manufacturing technology is so good these days that there isn't a need for matching them in sets any more.

Gates was the last who packaged matched sets -- but haven't now for years -- however the production run # is coded into the belt in the next batch of #s after the part # -- 7570 or 7597 for example is a 7/16" belt by 57.0" 0r 59.7" etc...... check the next batch of #s and you CAN still get two belts from the same production run.
And yes, that --- IS --- a good idea......

Back