Question about transmission cooler lines (why is there a particular bend in one of them?)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of the trans cooler lines, as it reaches the rad, makes a U-shaped bend for no apparent reason. I think this is the front (pressure) line, as it reaches the driver's side radiator port. I thought that maybe this was a fluke, someone's idea to use up some extra pipe. Here's a photo from Van's showing their pipes:

T-cooler-lines.jpg

See how the one pipe could go straight into the rad, but makes a U-shaped detour.

Is this to act as a sort of strain relief? Is it needed if the pipes are made from copper-nickle?

Bends can be for several reasons. One is for clearance as the car is assembled on the assy line. Another is to have a particular shape to decrease any harmonics (vibrations due to length) of the line, to minimize cracking of the line over time.

Rest assured, there IS a reason or any OEM would not have spent the money for those bends and extra length, even GM.

A WISE man once told me "If GM does something, it can relate to who was making decisions that day. If Chrysler or Ford does something, there's an engineering reason for it." He told me this in the 1990s when he showed me how much larger in dimeter the clutch (steels and frictions) plates of a 727 were than a GM Turbo400 transmission.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back