Steering wheel helping hand.

The Goose

Reaction score
Looking to replace my cracked up wheel with a nice woodgrain. I know I'll find one out here eventually but for now I'd like to just cover this finger pinching mess with something nice. Anybody out there find something better than this junk? No loopy strings or fuzzy slippers please. The last one on the MG wheel is kinda what I'm looking for. My guess is $40 to $60 for a nice leather one ???? Let me know what you think as I've only cut these off and never threw one on before...

IMG_7741.jpg

IMG_7735.JPG

IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

What diameter wheel? Also what diameter on the outer ring? My kids gave me one for mine a few years back but it fidn't dit.

You know it's just a standard wheel so I guess it's a 15 Incher. I'll check it out and get an answer. Thanks.

The wheel on my 65 was too skinny so the leather overlapped and I couldn't lace it up.

I tried one of the better leather covers on my '66 Newport years ago. It looked and smelled nice, but getting it laced tight enough was difficult. Even re-laced it a few times. Finally took it off as I couldn't twirl the wheel with one finger any more.

Might consider one of the repro Tuff Wheels? Seems like Grant has one. Of course, you can get some epoxy and fill in the cracks, file and refinish, then paint . . . or sent it to somebody that can do that for you. Seems like there were a few versions of that three-spoke wheel, over the years?

CBODY67

I measured it up and it's 15 3/4 inches. The rim is about 2 1/2 inches around I measured it against my 71 Torino GT and the rim is close but the wheel is only 15 1/2. I looked at some websites and man they don't make it easy. I really like the thin wheels on our cars and I don't want to goof that up. I can probably JB Weld those jagged cracks but no way will I paint it worth a darn. I know my limitations. I like the tuff wheel but that would come out of my woodgrain wheel fund.

Is JB Weld what you'd use to fill those cracks? I figure I should close em up if I cover it. I found a 71 mustang cover today that I bet will work if I stretch it. I don't know I'm just looking for a cheap easy fix until I find a nice woodgrain. I always liked the look of that wheel in my brothers 70 Roadrunner.

IMG_1414.JPG

Attachment-1 (3).jpg

My Monaco has a nice leather wrap over it and wheel still feels thin compared to todays cars. This wrap was installed a long time ago and appears to have protected the translucent wheel very well. I hate to take it off.
I have thought of installing a tan Tuff wheel and saving this wheel.

Probably too wide for yours as well, I looked at it and it says to fit a wheel 15 to 16" in diameter with a grip from 2.75 to 3.125". You can go to Wheelskins website and order one custom fit though.

3DB4F01F-82C3-4B61-BB5D-5E566C11520C.jpeg
9F83FC5F-72F0-4FC5-9408-72BD590919E9.jpeg
0C86F593-ED65-4201-9441-B62E533D8912.jpeg
B1B89C2E-DDD3-4ABD-A78C-0026810BC1B0.jpeg
7F73239C-3956-410E-85F4-3BD0D440382C.jpeg
FF6C2C9D-C1AD-409B-AF41-72786B0137D4.jpeg
A55A0C09-E275-4609-BA8D-C9EDCF1B6987.jpeg
I had mine restored, and I’m totally happy with it and would recommend it. A fella by the name of Doug Lepak did it. His business name is : The Steering wheel Guy. If you are able check out his site on Facebook- The steering wheel guy he as a lot of pictures of before and after restored steering wheels. While this is a pricey option and not for everyone it’s some very interesting reading. When I had my wheel done I had him redo my console top as well to match the steering wheel’s burled wood.

A085C433-C9EF-4CC6-885C-D2CBFC82032C.jpeg

Back in the 80's I got one of those stitch on ones from the local parts store for my 1967 Barracuda, it was a ***** to put on. The hardest part was getting over the wheel, I think there was some tape and clamps involved. It is still on the car, survived the restoration.

No better pictures of it.
2000-11-01_016.jpg

I would say get it hot and it should stretch on.

Alan

IMG_8009.jpg
IMG_8009.jpg
IMG_8011.jpg
IMG_8012.jpg
IMG_8014.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg
Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Welder Guy THAT is one beautiful wheel. It's really cool looking is that earlier than '68. I've never seen one like it. Alan I think you got the plan sorted out for me. I'll try that wheelskin place and I'll lay it out in the sun for a while. Rapidtrans glad to hear it'll stay thin I was worried it would come out chunky. Mr 500 I will try a custom size that's a good idea. Tom you are right, I just want to hold out for a nice one and I lose patience with every jagged turn of the wheel. Thanks again for the info. I got a plan and I'll post pics when done and later when swapped out. Enjoy these pics from the Grand National Roadster Show. That's where I disappeared to. Sorry no C bodies in sight but a lot of sights to see....

IMG_8010.jpg

Daytona was parked with USA graffiti and resurrected a short while back. Lots of really nice cars. Almost too much to see I'm sure we missed something. And there's that wheel I want...
IMG_8013.jpg
IMG_8019.jpg
IMG_8020.jpg
IMG_8021.jpg
IMG_8025.jpg
IMG_8026.jpg
IMG_8028.PNG
IMG_8027.jpg

Last ones just for fun. An Australian Dart ( top speed 60mph ) its
IMG_8029.PNG
IMG_8030.PNG
IMG_8032.PNG
scary small. And something I've never heard of before. The Frisky Sport. I kid you not that is the name. Weesh.

Being one of my favorite front ends... I can't say I approve of this very much...
img_8009-jpg.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Goose :thumbsup:

View attachment 164870 View attachment 164870 View attachment 164872 View attachment 164873 View attachment 164875 View attachment 164876 View attachment 164877 View attachment 164878 Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Welder Guy THAT is one beautiful wheel. It's really cool looking is that earlier than '68. I've never seen one like it. Alan I think you got the plan sorted out for me. I'll try that wheelskin place and I'll lay it out in the sun for a while. Rapidtrans glad to hear it'll stay thin I was worried it would come out chunky. Mr 500 I will try a custom size that's a good idea. Tom you are right, I just want to hold out for a nice one and I lose patience with every jagged turn of the wheel. Thanks again for the info. I got a plan and I'll post pics when done and later when swapped out. Enjoy these pics from the Grand National Roadster Show. That's where I disappeared to. Sorry no C bodies in sight but a lot of sights to see....

View attachment 164871
Great pictures the Goose. You are correct my current steering wheel is from a 1967 charger or barracuda. It is known arguably as the : 1967 mopar recall steering wheel. If you google that you can find the urban myth story of how Ralf Nader a safety crusader back in the day deemed the wheel unsafe but there was no official government recall notice but that’s a story for another day. My original steering wheel , identical to yours had the identical cracking problems. I got the 67 wheel in a parts deal I made 25 years ago and I really liked the look of it so I installed it in my car. Many a charger,barracuda guy has tried to buy it off me at numerous show and shines but it’s become part of the car. I kinda get a charge out of the barracuda and charger guys telling me it’s not original to the car and that they need it more than I do. Normally the wheel is a brown wood grain but I had it done in a 2 tone wood and black separated by the stainless steel band. I have kept all the original parts from my car just in case. I hope you can find the sport wheel you are looking for , they do sell them and they look sharp in my opinion. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Back