Waterpump

Big Block

Reaction score
Hello folks I own a 71 New Yorker and I have been noticing lately that my 440 has been releasing coolent through the overflow hose on my rad. Recently I had changed all the belts on the car including the one that goes around the water pump it's not over or undertightend but since then it's started spitting out coolest but only when I shut the car off and not alot but enough .How does one know if the water pump is failing obviously if it's getting hot on a regular basis but these cars although fully loaded had the dummy lights and I'm not sure if the warning lights work I picked up a 195 celsius thermostat that I am going to put in the water pump looks it's age but how can one tell if it's failing..any advise is welcomed..thanks

If it's dry around the weep holes then the seals are good, get it up to temp and when the thermostat is open see if you have coolant flow in the radiator. How full is your radiator? You need to leave the level down about 1" for heat expansion.

Good info right there. I always wonder the temps mines running at and worried about the water pump and over heating. Still gotta fabricate a fan shroud

If your hot and cold lights are working (hot light momentarily self tests on startup and cold light on while warming up then goes out) then all is likely OK. If there has been no change in the engine's performance then it's likely all good too.

Did you recently top up / add radiator fluid? As mentioned above we need to leave a bit of room in the rad for fluid expansion otherwise it burps it out the overflow a few times until it gets down to the level it likes.

Also, as mentioned above, there is a small hole below the waterpump shaft. If it is dry it's OK.

If your hot and cold lights are working (hot light momentarily self tests on startup and cold light on while warming up then goes out) then all is likely OK. If there has been no change in the engine's performance then it's likely all good too.

Did you recently top up / add radiator fluid? As mentioned above we need to leave a bit of room in the rad for fluid expansion otherwise it burps it out the overflow a few times until it gets down to the level it likes.

Also, as mentioned above, there is a small hole below the waterpump shaft. If it is dry it's OK.
"Cold light" ??? Is that some sort of Canadian thing?

On 65 and 66 Chryslers, (don't know about others), the temperature idiot lights have a green"cold" light and a red "hot". On the bottom right of this pic (under 120) you can just see the green and red sections of the temp lights.
SPEEDO PIC.jpg

Hello folks I own a 71 New Yorker and I have been noticing lately that my 440 has been releasing coolent through the overflow hose on my rad. Recently I had changed all the belts on the car including the one that goes around the water pump it's not over or undertightend but since then it's started spitting out coolest but only when I shut the car off and not alot but enough .How does one know if the water pump is failing obviously if it's getting hot on a regular basis but these cars although fully loaded had the dummy lights and I'm not sure if the warning lights work I picked up a 195 celsius thermostat that I am going to put in the water pump looks it's age but how can one tell if it's failing..any advise is welcomed..thanks

I just did the pump on a 65 Imperial Lebaron that had the same issue. Seal was so worn, the spring could only maintain coolant below a certain system pressure. As an A/C car the rad cap was rated at 16 psi . We put a 13 pound cap on the issue disappeared. Time to change the pump. There are pumps and then there are Tough Stuff pumps and the difference is "day and night" Having the right number of vanes for an A/C car, slightly larger vanes and quality bearings I do not expect to replace this pump for a long, long time.

The cold light was related to setting the choke. Once the cold light went out you could kick the fast idle off and run normal choke. At least thats how I remember it.

I don't recall ever seeing one on any car. Anyone have an owners manual that mentions a cold light?

Most of the A, E, and B body cars as well as Dodge and Plymouth C body cars had temp guages. However it was common for Chryslers to have temp range lights.

Here's a pic of the features sheet that briefly mentions it:

66_Chrysler_Features_Equipment_0029.jpg

Thankee kindlee John - that's exactly what I was trying to find. There are no real owner's manual indications because it's function is kind of self explanatory.

I don't recall ever seeing one on any car. Anyone have an owners manual that mentions a cold light?
In the photo of the '65-6 dash above, you will see two idiot lights on the lower right just below the "120" indication. The one on the left says "Hot," the one on the right says "Cold." Same for the '70 dash in the illustration above, only the lights are above the speedo.

Most of the A, E, and B body cars as well as Dodge and Plymouth C body cars had temp guages. However it was common for Chryslers to have temp range lights.
]
Only from '65 on. The '63-4 had full instrumentation, as did the "Astral Dome" of the '60-2, as well as the dashes of the '50s. However, I recently saw a dash of a '70 Imperial - full gauges!!! That's not fair!

Back