1958 Plymouth with Power Steering and Long or Short Tube Headers

1958plymouthfury

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of anyone that has accomplished making a 1958 Plymouth with Power Steering use Long or Short Tube Headers and if so what brand did they use and how did they get them to fit due to the power steering box being right in the way?

So if that just isnt possible then what would be the best performance exhaust manifold that I could use?

Thank you,
DV USMC MEF

Last edited:
On my 57 I had fenderwell headers, so I didn't have any fitment issues. I remember back in the early seventies a friend with a 58 Plymouth had a 383 4 speed in his and he used under chassis headers from an A body Dart. He worked on a lot of Mopars and had several different sets of headers lying around and he tried the ones from the Dart and they fit. It was a long time ago and I don't remember what year Dart and if he did any modifications to get them to fit. What motor is in your car? I have a 440 and use the high performance manifolds from a GTX with no problems.

On my 57 I had fenderwell headers, so I didn't have any fitment issues. I remember back in the early seventies a friend with a 58 Plymouth had a 383 4 speed in his and he used under chassis headers from an A body Dart. He worked on a lot of Mopars and had several different sets of headers lying around and he tried the ones from the Dart and they fit. It was a long time ago and I don't remember what year Dart and if he did any modifications to get them to fit. What motor is in your car? I have a 440 and use the high performance manifolds from a GTX with no problems.
Thanks for the info, She is scheduled for install with a new Mopar 408, 727 level 4 transmission with Hurst Shifter and Dana60 S Trac 3.73 Gearing, may have to just go with the best high performance exhaust manifold that I can get then if block hugging headers cant be found that will work.....

Have you looked at forwardlook.net to see if those guys have any posts on them? My brother had a 57 fury back in the 80s with a LA 318 and I think we used a set of a body headers. I don’t remember if the car had power steering.

Have you looked at forwardlook.net to see if those guys have any posts on them? My brother had a 57 fury back in the 80s with a LA 318 and I think we used a set of a body headers. I don’t remember if the car had power steering.
Yeah I have went crazy, looking, reading, emailing and calling, etc, even trying to get them fabricated but its really expensive..... Sandersons makes a DD7 and DD9 which are supposed to fit the Chrysler engines hugging the block really well but there is no way to ensure they will fit without actually ordering them being the problem is that power steering box....One guy slanted the engine, loosened the headers and somehow miracled it in there amongst the power steering box lol.....
I may just have to find the best performance exhaust manifold as an alternative is what its looking like.....

Back