1961 Newport oil pan

Woaded1

Reaction score
I have a 1961 Newport with the 361b engine that I am trying to find a replacement oil pan for. I have found several places that list 1959-60 1962-78.

Can someone please explain why the 61 is skipped? What is special about this year that makes it the blacksheep? Wouldn't the oil pan be the same on all the big block engines? Or do I need to get a pan and pickup from a different year?

Help

Screenshot_20240516_121038_eBay.jpg

Im thinking your best fit might be the repopped max wedge pan that fits "B"s up to '65. If you look at the 440 Source website, there is a section of info pages.....you can likely find the OEM part number there, but im not sure that info will help in your search.

Just thinking, but for full-size Chrysler cars, I would suspect the major platform change (at least in body shapes and such) happened with the '63 cars, with the '62 and prior full-size cars being the same? Non-Imperial, that is. With the '63 full-size Plymouth and Dodges laying the groundwork for what became the B-body platform of 1965, seems to me. As the "upgraded" full-size cars of 1965 being the first designation and design of "C-body" rwd cars for C-P-D.

As to the oil pans, the main issues with them would be where the sump was located (front, rear, or center) and any indentations needed to clear steering linkage items (as pitman or idler arms). Plus how it all interfaced with the front stub-frame contours.

Until recently, the only time I had even thought about these things (pre-66 C-body) was when I built Johan '63 or '64 Chrysler model kits, waaaayyy back then. The ones with the colored metalflake plastic bodies, rather than the normal "white" plastic of AMT model kits.

Take care,
CBODY67

I’m thinking that 61 having the different BB crankshaft flange
would be different than 62 up
Maybe requires a different pan?
59 has a different frame maybe?
I would think that 60 would be the same

I have a parts motor out of 61 Chrysler
It will take me some time to to remove it though.

I have a 1961 Newport with the 361b engine that I am trying to find a replacement oil pan for. I have found several places that list 1959-60 1962-78.

Can someone please explain why the 61 is skipped? What is special about this year that makes it the blacksheep? Wouldn't the oil pan be the same on all the big block engines? Or do I need to get a pan and pickup from a different year?

Help

View attachment 661190
Here's what you do... Go to this page; Parts Manuals – MyMopar and download the "interchange manual" that's listed. Open it and go to page 71 for the oil pan listings. As I see it, the '58 to '64 big block pans interchange, but you look at it yourself.

While you are there, download the parts manual for 1961 and I'll suggest that you get 1960 and 1962 also. Sometimes that year or so either way gives some insight to what you need. They also have the Factory Service Manual for your car. Service Manuals – MyMopar

I know we are supposed to trust aftermarket vendors' parts listings, but sometimes THEY are going on "hearsay evidence" themselves. Nor do they have the capabilities of researching their listings for accuracy, typically. So best for them to delete something rather than say it will work and it doesn't, as a default mode.

Which is where the "Interchange Manual" comes into play. The old Hollander manuals were used by salvage yards to know what would fit, what would not fit, or what modifications might be needed for one part to fit a different vehicle.

Please keep us posted so we can all learn from your inquiry,
CBODY67

I know we are supposed to trust aftermarket vendors' parts listings, but sometimes THEY are going on "hearsay evidence" themselves.
I've gotten so I don't trust any of the listings. Especially eBay listings.

Rock Auto seems to be reasonably accurate and one really good thing they do is show a picture of the part, along with some specs and often OEM part numbers. You have to click on the link to see it, but that's nothing. Often what I do is look up the part on Rock Auto, then price shop based on part number to Amazon, eBay etc.

I also see a lot of "fits all" aftermarket "upgrade" parts being peddled that are obvious to even the slightly edumacated eye won't fit... The bogus disc brakes conversions come to mind here.

One thing that I am getting very concerned about are counterfeit NOS and NORS parts. This has been a problem with GM and Ford NOS parts for a while now... The high prices of Mopar parts has to be on the counterfeiters' radar, so it's going to happen... and I have suspicions that it already is. I have seen repop parts getting passed off as NOS, and used repop parts being passed off as used "original". That may be unintentional, but I do see words like "reproduction" being left out and I can't help but wonder i that is on purpose.

I had the sane problem as you . Mine had a big dent in it . I couldn't find a listing so panel beated mine and got someone to braze the split near the drain plug .

Back