1966 Chrysler 300 non AC car fan shroud

Bryon Mason

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a fan shroud. Car runs fine but tends to get hot in stop and go traffic. Currently has the original 4 blade fan. Also considering a pusher fan.
20220916_164006.jpg
20220916_163955.jpg
20220827_164003.jpg

A shroud would help. A 5 or 6 blade clutch fan would also help. Make sure your radiator cap holds pressure. Nice looking engine. I like those valve covers!

7 bladed fan largest diameter with a thermostatic controlled clutch and shroud. The fan should be no more than 1" away from the radiator core.

DSCF7261.JPG

DSCF7263.JPG

DSCF7264.JPG

DSCF7266.JPG

Ah, Spring! Time to tune that cooling system for the Summer Oven! Just finished my 2nd coat of primer on my fan shroud from a '65 Fury, meant for my 2524984 radiator. I'll re-attach my 7 blade Mopar 18 inch fan, with this fan shroud in about 1 more month, when traffic and daytime temperature warrants it. During the Cool Season, we cruise with nothing but that FFD 16" fan in a pusher configuration, with a 210 F thermal switch parallel to a SPST switch I placed on my supplementary instrument hanger, on the column.

I advise the OP to drop ~$50 for an A-Team Performance 16" pusher fan. While it doesn't really move the 3000 CFM they purport, if moves enough to supplement a mech fan in hot summer city traffic. This is a good bang for the $ in supplemental cooling, which I used for 3 years, "upgrading" to the FFD out of curiosity last summer. It blows more, though again, I doubt their claims.

I copped this shroud with another 2524984 radiator, which in this case is icing on a SPLENDID cake! Before finding this treasure, I had planned to get US Radiator to build me a high dollar copper radiator as a stand-by replacement for the one I'm running.

Mopar hasn't made a better radiator!

Anyway, the minimum configuration I would advise another B/RB driver to use for the summer would be a GOOD, 22" x 17" radiator, with at least a 6 blade steel mech fan on a heavy duty thermal clutch, with a modest 16" electric pusher fan. THIS will do to keep your engine under 210 F even on the WORST summer days. A shroud will improve the mech fan's efficiency perhaps by 100%, if it's a good shroud. I built a NICE aluminum shroud for an excellent 22" radiator from ECP which worked very well, though not well enough to stop evil insurance fraudsters from wrecking the car it was cooling. Barring THAT, that old 383 ran nice and chill on the worst days of the summer of 2021.

I went back to copper in the Fall of that year after the wreck because aluminum radiators were in short supply, and Cold Case couldn't bribe me enough to run their slop again if they GAVE me TWO of their radiators. So, with my original '65 Mopar radiator rodded out, then sealed nicely, we kept Gertrude running chill all last summer, and look forward to doing even better this year.

Here we go! I looked at the weather forecast for this week, and decided to go ahead and install my recently painted 1965 shroud on the 1965 radiator I'm using. Noted this morning that temperature stayed below 195 F, though in the morning cool, that's no big feat. Still, I expect the clutched 7 blade fan with the shroud meant for a 1965 Plymouth Fury and the 2524984 radiator should cool quite well, leaving the need for the 16" FFD fan for ONLY the hottest days in stalled traffic. It fit together nicely enough, though I plan to use aluminum duct tape to seal the gaps between the shroud and radiator, making for a REALLY effective shroud.

Feast your eyes on mid 1960s State of the Engine Cooling Art!

IMG_20230402_153617490.jpg

And from a side angle:
IMG_20230402_153702824.jpg

Realize that I would NEVER spend good $$ JUST on obtaining this shroud, but, it came with another of these marvelous old radiators of the same exact production number! I wasn't even seriously EXPECTING to FIND one either, and simply was expounding to the wife on how lucky we were to have even ONE of these when, serendipitously, an eBay ad for the very one popped up when I searched for the spec on the 2524984. We looked, and my Better Half said, "BUY IT!" This radiator now is in the same shop that rodded and sealed up the very one you see in the pics above. Since it looked no worse than ours, I pray this shop CAN seal it well after rodding out the tubes. But, if they can't, we then will send it to US Radiator for a new core.

Again, if constrained by budgetary concerns, one can get a GOOD 22 x 17" aluminum radiator from ECP in Chicago, and use an A Team 16" electric pusher fan for adequate cooling, even in Southwest U. S. urban summers. Be this as it may, ECP suffers the vicissitudes of the "supply chain" these daze; and had NO aluminum radiators for me in the Fall of 2021, when my previous one, complete with the lovely, efficient shroud I made for it from 1" x 3" x 1/4" angle aluminum had all been wantonly wrecked by that evil insurance fraudster. So, being left with no decent option but to attempt rehabilitating the leaky old radiator which came with our ruined '66 Newport, I hired a rare Good Shop which did a SUPERB job for a reasonable price! 2 months of driving with that venerable all copper Mopar radiator convinced us that THIS would be the ONLY option for Gertrude, for so long as we could afford it.

So, when a second of the same exact series showed up on eBay, we snatched it up! Still, had there not been the exact shroud MEANT for that radiator with it, I would never have bothered to get one. Shrouds work as passive airflow directors for a radiator, but one can obtain active supplements for less than half the cost. BUT, if a Good Deal pops up, THEN I say, STRIKE and drive COOOOOL after getting it.

Last edited:
Back