1967 Radio & Speakers

Tall_Texan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Doing a return to service on a 1967 Dodge Polara Convertible. This is intended to be a car for our family to enjoy. We are replacing the original AM radio with a modern replica from Retrosound.
1967-1970 Dodge Dart Redondo RT Thumb-Roller Radio

My question is about the original wiring and configuration for speakers. There are currently 2 small 3.5" speakers in the doors (see pic of driver side door) and the single rear at the top of the back seat. What I am not sure about is if this is the original configuration.

Any guidance on original setup and wiring would be greatly appreciated.

20230811_093435.jpg

The speakers in the doors are NOT factory speakers. 1968 was the first year for multiplex/stereo FM sound systems in Chrysler C-body cars. BUT a '68 radio normally fits a '67 C-body.

In the 1968 C-body cars, there were two 3.5" speakers, one in each corner of the upper instrument panel. Two 6x9s in the rear package tray. Could not usually be had with any factory rear heater item, as at least one speaker hole was used for the heater output. I'd need to look at the radio wiring schematic in the FSM to make sure about the use of a center-front speaker (for a total of 5, as in the fuselage cars, in addition to the outer corner speakers in the front, in 1968.

There was the instrument panel radio, as normal, but there was also a "control box" that mounted in the trunk, somewhere, with a multi-wire "cable" that went between it and the radio unit. That's where the "multiplex/stereo" came from.

The above is what was in the sedans and hardtops. Unsure of convertibles and station wagons.

With what you now have, probably best to determine the wiring for the speakers and adapt the new radio to fit them. On convertibles, the front speaker with one rear speaker is all I'm aware of as "factory equipment". With the rear speaker being in the inset of the rear seat seat back.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Hi All,

Doing a return to service on a 1967 Dodge Polara Convertible. This is intended to be a car for our family to enjoy. We are replacing the original AM radio with a modern replica from Retrosound.
1967-1970 Dodge Dart Redondo RT Thumb-Roller Radio

My question is about the original wiring and configuration for speakers. There are currently 2 small 3.5" speakers in the doors (see pic of driver side door) and the single rear at the top of the back seat. What I am not sure about is if this is the original configuration.

Any guidance on original setup and wiring would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 669600
To answer the question, those speakers were not factory. Hard to say how they were wired.

If you haven't bought the Retro-radio, I'm going to suggest a better option. Have your existing AM radio converted to modern internals by someone like Aurora FMR Stereo Conversion I've had two radios done by him and a third is going to get shipped to him for conversion one of these days.

The Retro-Radio stuff does not have the best reputation for quality... My own experience with their speakers was that they live up to the bad rep as I had two different speakers fail miserably.

Having never owned a convertible, I'm completely unaware as to how / where they would mount a rear speaker. You say you have one mounted in the seat back? Can someone speak to that?

There is a dashboard-mounted fader control, to balance sound output between the dash speaker and rear package shelf speaker. Again with a convertible, if a rear speaker was available then so would be the fader option for the dashboard. I don't think that FM radios were available for '67 Polara / Monaco - I don't see it mentioned in the service manual. Just 2 styles of AM radio. Even if FM was available, it probably wasn't stereo? (when did stereo FM broadcasting start?).

There was a capacitor mounted on the ignition coil if the car had a radio. That cap might not have been there if the car had no radio.

In '67 there was just 1 front speaker, 2 screws are accessible by removing the glove box door and the box and using a long screw driver. The other 2 screws are accessible through the radio opening. The speaker is removed / installed through the radio opening.

For a '67 convertible I don't know what your options are for mounting a pair of modern full-range speakers in the rear. And if you really want sound bad enough, I think you're going to have to put speakers in the doors (which it looks like has already been done, not to pretty from the photo).

Having never owned a convertible, I'm completely unaware as to how / where they would mount a rear speaker. You say you have one mounted in the seat back? Can someone speak to that?
It's a 6x9" oval speaker mounted at the top of the rear seat back.

1720136620585.png

I use an Auto Custom Sound 6x9" that has dual voice coils. I have these in two cars, my '65 Barracuda has one in the front and one in the rear (actually in the rear defroster intake opening on the side, but that's another story). These things sound great, and have lasted. I tried 2 different Retro-Radio versions of these speakers and they failed, one actually burning out. The Custom Auto Sound speakers have been going strong for years now.
Custom Audio

1720136954057.png

There is a dashboard-mounted fader control, to balance sound output between the dash speaker and rear package shelf speaker. Again with a convertible, if a rear speaker was available then so would be the fader option for the dashboard. I don't think that FM radios were available for '67 Polara / Monaco - I don't see it mentioned in the service manual. Just 2 styles of AM radio. Even if FM was available, it probably wasn't stereo? (when did stereo FM broadcasting start?).

There was a capacitor mounted on the ignition coil if the car had a radio. That cap might not have been there if the car had no radio.

In '67 there was just 1 front speaker, 2 screws are accessible by removing the glove box door and the box and using a long screw driver. The other 2 screws are accessible through the radio opening. The speaker is removed / installed through the radio opening.

For a '67 convertible I don't know what your options are for mounting a pair of modern full-range speakers in the rear. And if you really want sound bad enough, I think you're going to have to put speakers in the doors (which it looks like has already been done, not to pretty from the photo).
Prior to 1968, AM/FM mono was an option, back to about 1965 or so. Just that FM radio, back then, was more "background music" than what's on FM now. Lower transmitter power meant not much reception range, too. AM radio was much better, for the normal listener.

On a convertible, the rear speaker would have been behind the grille on the rear seat upper area inset. GM did similar on 1968 Buick LeSabre convertibles, except that GM would sell a stereo, using the front speaker for one channel and the rear speaker for the rear channel.

The speakers in the doors are NOT factory speakers. 1968 was the first year for multiplex/stereo FM sound systems in Chrysler C-body cars. BUT a '68 radio normally fits a '67 C-body.

In the 1968 C-body cars, there were two 3.5" speakers, one in each corner of the upper instrument panel. Two 6x9s in the rear package tray. Could not usually be had with any factory rear heater item, as at least one speaker hole was used for the heater output. I'd need to look at the radio wiring schematic in the FSM to make sure about the use of a center-front speaker (for a total of 5, as in the fuselage cars, in addition to the outer corner speakers in the front, in 1968.

There was the instrument panel radio, as normal, but there was also a "control box" that mounted in the trunk, somewhere, with a multi-wire "cable" that went between it and the radio unit. That's where the "multiplex/stereo" came from.

The above is what was in the sedans and hardtops. Unsure of convertibles and station wagons.

With what you now have, probably best to determine the wiring for the speakers and adapt the new radio to fit them. On convertibles, the front speaker with one rear speaker is all I'm aware of as "factory equipment". With the rear speaker being in the inset of the rear seat seat back.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thanks for confirming. I assumed that was the case. I bet my father-in-law put them in trying to improve the sound. So standard would have been the 2 in the instrument panel or dash and 1 rear speaker in the backseat. The car is in the shop so I can't check the front. Will have to check once I have it back.

To answer the question, those speakers were not factory. Hard to say how they were wired.

If you haven't bought the Retro-radio, I'm going to suggest a better option. Have your existing AM radio converted to modern internals by someone like Aurora FMR Stereo Conversion I've had two radios done by him and a third is going to get shipped to him for conversion one of these days.

The Retro-Radio stuff does not have the best reputation for quality... My own experience with their speakers was that they live up to the bad rep as I had two different speakers fail miserably.
Thanks. I have already purchased the RetroSound radio. I did get several recommendations from others that have these in their cars. However, I have not heard same reviews on the speakers. Depending on the direction, will likely either just buy after market speakers for the doors. For the rear, will likely look into Custom Autosound's dual voice speaker as I have heard good things about those.

View attachment 669611

I use an Auto Custom Sound 6x9" that has dual voice coils. I have these in two cars, my '65 Barracuda has one in the front and one in the rear (actually in the rear defroster intake opening on the side, but that's another story). These things sound great, and have lasted. I tried 2 different Retro-Radio versions of these speakers and they failed, one actually burning out. The Custom Auto Sound speakers have been going strong for years now.
Custom Audio

View attachment 669613
Thanks for confirming. That is the same set up I have in my Polara. I have been looking into the Custom Autosound's dual voice speakers. They seem to get good reviews and should be a great option for the rear speaker.

View attachment 669611

Custom Audio

View attachment 669613
How is the sound with just replacing the original speaker set up with the Cuatom Sound versions? I may consider replacing the door panels, assuming I can find something, to get back to more original look.

How is the sound with just replacing the original speaker set up with the Cuatom Sound versions? I may consider replacing the door panels, assuming I can find something, to get back to more original look.
The sound is pretty good.

Just about any of the aftermarket speakers, even the cheaper ones, sound better than the originals. The originals had a paper cone that cracked from the sun and use after just a few years. The newer speakers are made from a lot of different materials, but the most common is polypropylene. While there are audiophiles that would probably say there are better materials, for a car, you want both sound quality and they need to be robust enough to last.

A lot of us kind of shudder a bit when we see cut up door panels, especially if they are convertible rear seat door panels, but since the holes are already there, you could use those existing holes with a decent speaker too.

My original ‘68 Polara only has one space in the dash for a single speaker. Since I don’t have a convertible I went with 2-6x9’s in the rear and a retro sound dual coil for the single spot in the front. Not quite the same quality as my 2014 GMC Bose system, but way better than the original AM sound. I also did the Aurora conversion. Now I have AM, FM, Bluetooth, hands free calling and USB connection (better than my GMC).

Interesting thing is that the order guide at www.hamtramck-historical.com only lists the two qualities of AM radio, then the AM/8-track stereo tape, with the AM/8-track having three front speakers but no mention, anywhere, in the order guide listings of any rear speakers OR FM-band radios being available in Polaras or Monacos in 1968. Kind of strange, to me.

CBODY67

Interesting thing is that the order guide at www.hamtramck-historical.com only lists the two qualities of AM radio, then the AM/8-track stereo tape, with the AM/8-track having three front speakers but no mention, anywhere, in the order guide listings of any rear speakers OR FM-band radios being available in Polaras or Monacos in 1968. Kind of strange, to me.

CBODY67
I actually have a copy of the original dealer order form from February 1967 that lists the rear speaker. The original radio is AM only.

I actually have a copy of the original dealer order form from February 1967 that lists the rear speaker. The original radio is AM only.
I also have the original option sheet for the 1967 Polara versions and it has it listed as well under power assist section.

1967PolaraOptionSheetB.jpg

Back