1968 C Body Inland in the console

Commandough

Reaction score
I have been looking and see a 67 console Inland from a GTX listed on ebay. My question is will a Inland console shifter differ from a B to a C Body and from year to year. I'm putting one in a 68 Sport Fury. If the lengths or bends in the stick vary, I'd like to find out before I make a mistake and get the wrong thing. If it weren't for trying to keep it stock appearing, I'd most likely not pick an Inland, but anyone with some knowledge on this know if the 68 C body came with a unique setup? Thanks

The first thing is to make sure you have a 4-speed console for it to fit under. The C-body consoles were generally "automatic only", if it was a column shift car, there was a trim plate to go in that hole.

As for the base shifter? I suspect a B-body will fit a C-body. The driver's seat will be in the same basic orientation to the shifter handle, I suspect. Shifter rods might be different lengths, though. I also suspect that with the very low volume of C-body 4-speeds (probably more now than every produced by Chrysler), they would have used the B-body shift handle (AND related items underneath). BUT I could be wrong with that. The more unique items, with related production and inventory costs, and possibly "assembly line complexity", the more cost for that particular option on a C-body car, so "less expense is best".

Looking in the Chrysler parts book (or similar Factory Service Manual) is normally a good resource, IF you also understand that the same physical item, with a different finish, or one additional hole drilled in a different location would generate a different part number. Parts illustrations can be problematic as they were done months prior to production, of in similar model years, one illustration carried-over from a prior year . . . "for illustration purposes". But they still might be helpful, as can sales brochures AND the Dealer Order Guide and Color and Trim book.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

There is a difference between B Body & C Body consoles with fitment. Try and find a C Body console.

I believe the C-Body shifter is a bit longer than the B, maybe 2 inches or less. I will see if I can get you a pic of one for a C this evening. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
FYI, sometime during the '68 production a factory installed Hurst shifter became an option.

This shifter came out of a 1966 Sport Fury with a factory installed 4 speed and console.

inland 1.JPG

inland 2.JPG

inland 3.JPG

inland 4.JPG

inland 5.JPG

That is almost an exact copy of what I was looking at but just wanted to be sure things didn't change between 66,67 and 68. I had also suspected it might be longer in the 68 C Body as I found a few pics that showed a longer handle that were listed as a CONSOLE shifter. Straight floor non-console were clearly a different animal. Dang!! I thought the B and C Body consoles were the same with the only difference being that the 4 speed and auto were built differently with the shifter hump. Finding a C Body 4 speed console is going to be a tall order.

The parts book lists the B-body and C-body shift levers as being different.
shifter.PNG

I checked my 1967 parts book, and it's listing the same part numbers for B and C consoles. The odd thing is that it's showing different part numbers for GTX and Coronet R/T consoles vs the other B-Bodys. :confused: I'll have to consult with the local B-Body expert on that one.

Something else that I noticed: The book implies that you couldn't get a console in a 4 door hardtop Dodge or Plymouth in '67, but you could in a Chrysler. It also implies that you could not get a console in a 4 speed Chrysler.

More info found: While the main part of the console looks to be the same between C and B, the carpeted hump on the left side is definitely different. I wouldn't think that it would be a huge deal to modify that part to fit the car. It's only fiberboard.

This shifter came out of a 1966 Sport Fury with a factory installed 4 speed and console.

Are you interested in selling that shifter assembly? Would you happen to have the console / console plate? I mainly need the plate. Is it interchangeable with the 65 Sport Fury console?

Sorry, I have plans for the shifter. It came out of a car in a junkyard, and the console was already gone. I managed to get the shifter, the floor section with hump and brackets, along with the frame stud for the Z-bar.

The '65s used a completely different console, and I believe a Hurst shifter instead of the Inland.

Back