1971 Sport Fury

kp6401

Reaction score
Hi All, first off, sorry about posting the update in cars for sale. Figuring this out, I am a SLOW learner.
Bought this 71 from Fearless Fury late last year. He did a great job with it. Over the winter I replaced the lower driver side quarter and inner quarter (amateur) but ALL metal, required a lot of work with crappy patch panels available. Over this winter, I will do behind the front driver wheel and the passenger side lower inner/outer rear quarter.
This summer, as Fearless reported, I have driven the car and encountered the knock in the motor he did. Car is a 360 with 76k on it, many years in hibernation till Fearless rescued it. I put in SAE 30 weight oil and STP engine treatment. When it gets to normal operating temperature, at low idle I get occasionally the low oil pressure idiot light...yikes. When accelerating between 45 to 65mph, it has a knock. Seems like an upper end knock, I am surmising cam bearings, but not sure with the idiot light. I have spun main bearings on cars which knock horrendously, this car does not. Any thoughts from anybody?? I think I may be pulling the engine this winter, I am wondering about the compression rings and the cam bearings, perhaps the mains, but mains do not seem like the issue. Trans too, I changed the filter/fluid which stopped the leaks but the parking pall is croaked. I have attached pix to update everybody on what I have done to continue trying to save this old beauty. I am an amateur and have already been criticized at local cruise nights about my poor body work skills, but felt when all is done, metal is underneath and I will have the car professionally finished and painted.

2015-12-23 19.01.30.jpg

images (1).jpg

20170429_180240 (1).jpg

20170429_180255 (1).jpg

20170429_180400 (1).jpg

20170429_180329 (1).jpg

20170429_180311.jpg

20170505_085329.jpg

20170505_085335 (1).jpg

photo 3(2) (1).JPG

Yes nice work on that quarter, next time you take some pics, turn the phone sideways, will get you better pics. :thumbsup:

The knock may be from a wrist pin. Had a engine that did that. Figured I'd fix it when it let go. Never did. The guy I sold it to ran it for several more years before the car got totaled. Just throwin' it out there...

With the oil press. light flickering at idle when hot have the oil press. checked w/ a oil press. gauge. Any press hot below 15 psi at idle in gear is a indication the main and cam bearings are worn. Combine that w/ an engine knock its time for a rebuild.

Last edited:
Hey all, first off, thanks for the nice comments. So I go to this cruise night, only Fury there. Guy looks at the quarter and makes the comment about how amateur it was.. I am not a painter, I get it. Fearless sent the outer quarter panels when I bought the car. I bought the inner trunk extensions and cut and cut and cut. Welded up what I needed to and bondo'd the welds. Sanded down all and squirted it in the **** brown. I was really happy with the results. Over the winter I will do the passenger side which is far less than the drivers side. I think the 360 needs an overhaul.. The knock is not always, but under acceleration. It is really loud and wrecks the cruise (i/e harshes the mellow). I don't wanna pull it, but figure I gotta to save this old beauty. Get the trans done too since the parking pall is croaked to. I want to put air back in to (I am getting older fellas). I love my Roadrunners and GTX's, but damn, this thing grew on me. My old man was a state trooper in WI and died this past April. As a kid, I remember walking behind his 69 and 71 Fury 1 440's warming up to go to work. It just sticks in my head. I am blessed to have this old boat. For whatever it is worth. I really like this website, you guys have the passion...just as I have. Thank you all for the positive words. I take my time and do my best with my skill set to preserve this beauty. I hope and pray I can get her done.... Ken

And it looks amazing. Fred, was that a used quarter? Off of what?
No. Took a template with newspaper of the rusted original. Cut about 6-8 " off the bottom and a bit around the wheel well. Bent the patch over a spare tire to get close to the right contour and matched to the wheel lip trim at the front and the valance at the rear. This last bit is what many miss and then it doesn't look right going down straight with no contour.

hope you test fit the wheel well trim before finishing all the work.. i suspect you may find the trim does not fit anymore..

Great to see the car getting more love, I think you had another thread about the engine and like mentioned above with the oil pressure I believe it best to pull it and tear it down for rebuild.

Back