1972 Dodge Polara- Trying to align my steering wheel correctly but it doesn’t line up

72polarbear

Reaction score
After fixing a previous power steering issue I realized my steering wheel was way too off for it to be an alignment issue so I took off the knuckle(I’m not sure if that’s the name) and it seems to be a bit more complicated than what i thought it was, any ideas? The rubber bushing that goes between the steering wheel and the power steering unit is not in the picture since I had just partially reassembled it for the photos

E4BE97E0-7D32-498C-83BA-631F1335215E.jpeg

10AC4DFC-9C5F-4047-B627-974624F8BBF9.jpeg

That "knuckle" is called a steering coupler, and the two yokes actually go at 90° to each other, as the coupler has 4 sets of holes, not two - one pair for each yoke. The yokes do not bolt together in the same alignment. They are 90° opposed.

Once you've got that put back together, then you can adjust your tie rod ends to centre the steering wheel if it needs adjustment.

Last edited:
Here's something I learned from a shop back in the early 1980s. When the steering gear is centered, the pitman arm should be parallel to the rocker panels and the tie rod ends (where you adjust the toe-in) should be the same length (before and after the toe-in is adjusted). For reference, you can count the number of exposed threads on the drag link and on the tie rod ends so they are the same on each side.

Also, the dead spline in the upper steering shaft (where the steering wheel slides onto the shaft) should be at 12:00Noon.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

Depends on whether you need the dome light to see that dead spline. Should I have said "High Noon"?

Back