1972 Newport

kllcb1234

Reaction score
I am looking to change my oil in my 72 Newport Royal (400 CID). It’s hasn’t been changed in 3 years and only driven about 100 miles during that time.

1st question, do I need to change it, it looks good on the dip stick?

2nd question, if I need to change it, can I use 10w-30, I was told that I can, but need to add a zinc additive.

Your help is much appreciated!

Oil with prior levels of zinc ARE available. Look for an API Service rating of "SL", which some 5W-30 Castrol syn oils have, plus the "GTX Classic" oils. Valvoline VR-1 is another available oil with high zddp for older engines. As is the Amsoil Z-Rod and some Driven-brand oils.

As to changing a 3 yr old oil, according to Lake Speed, Jr., normal oil can last up to 6 yrs before it times-out on oxidation levels. Check his videos on this.

Reality tends to be that a modern oil (lower zddp) will not immediately cause damage as residual zddp is in the metals of the crank and bearings.

Best to look for the higher-zddp oils in your area rather than use a questionable additive. Speed shops are one area, but they can be shipped to you, too, from Jegs and Summit.

As one of Mr. Speed, Jr's videos on Castrol GTX, higher zddp also results in less main bearing wear, so it's not just about cam lobe wear. For a stock motor with normal valve lift, it can be that normal non-Dexos-rated oils outside of the normal current OEM viscosity levels, might work just fine.

As for an oil filter, I always used Motorcraft FL-1A filters, for years, on my Chrysler engines. WIX is good, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Wow, great information. I appreciate the great insight and quick response. You gave me great direction to start on.

Thx again!

Wow, great information. I appreciate the great insight and quick response. You gave me great direction to start on.

Thx again!
I just found this, Castro GTX Classic SAE 20W50, will this work (see photo)? Do you know how many quarts it takes (400CDI)?

IMG_0942.jpeg

I am looking to change my oil in my 72 Newport Royal (400 CID). It’s hasn’t been changed in 3 years and only driven about 100 miles during that time.

1st question, do I need to change it, it looks good on the dip stick?

2nd question, if I need to change it, can I use 10w-30, I was told that I can, but need to add a zinc additive.

Your help is much appreciated!

To change or not to change.
It depends on the prior change schedule. A dirty motor needs a lot of changing to clean it up.
Mobile 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 15/50, lots of zinc in it.

I would not recommend running 20w50 instead of 10w30. The 20w50 is a thicker oil but a lot of companies think that for older engines a thicker oil will be better because they think it will have lower tendency to leak and might give better compression numbers (but it's thicker and will likely reduce your milage, maybe increase engine workload and hence temperature, will be less shear-stable over time because of the wide viscosity range). Being in Michigan, I would not want to run such a thick oil unless you for sure weren't going to drive the car in winter.

Zinc (as in ZDDP) levels in motor oil have been dropping for the past 20, 25 years mainly to prevent damage to catalytic convertors, and because engines don't use flat tappets (solid tappets) - instead they use rollers for several decades now. Lifter contact with the cam shaft is the one location where wear can happen very quickly when there is not enough zinc in the oil for solid-lifter engines. When these engines are re-built, a special "break-in" oil with very high levels of ZDDP should be used for the first 500 or so miles.

You can buy ZDDP as an additive (Rislone Hy-per Lube Zinc ZDDP Oil Supplement) which you mix into what-ever regular oil you are using.

I also have a car that has been driven very little in the past 2 years, and I've just changed the oil and used a can of Rislone.

The other school of thought on ZDDP is that even with solid lifters, unless you're also running high performance (high force) valve springs, then the zinc levels in oil today are enough.

Also note that so-called "diesel" oils are also high in zinc, so that's another option.

The website "Bob's the oil guy" aka BITOG has dozens if not hundreds of posts on the topic of zinc/ZDDP and listings of actual ZDDP levels in various retail oils.

Last edited:
5 quarts with a filter change. Get a Wix or NAPA Gold oil filter. Do not get a cheap oil filter like a Fram as there are differences in the filter quality and design.

If there is a Napa near you check to see if they carry Valvoline Vr1. I purchase it locally in 10w30 and run it in my Newport and my Duster.

Back