313 Super Red Ram

has anybody heard of a 313 Super Red Ram used in Canadian made 57 Custom Royal's?

The 313 V8 appeared in 1957 in the Canadian Custom Royal. For 1958, the 313 became the standard V8 for the 118" wheelbase Plymouth and Dodge models. It was available in Plymouth and Dodge models through 1964, and was replaced by the 318 for 1965.

I could find no reference to a "Super red ram 313"

[h=2]Dodge[edit][/h]Dodge's Hemi was introduced in 1953 as the Red Ram.[SUP][3][/SUP] Dodge did not have a V8 engine until one was developed specifically for the line in 1953 based on the 1951 Chrysler hemi design, but down-sized for these smaller cars. They have the smallest bore center distance of any hemi engine at 4.1875 in (106.4 mm). They do not share any major dimensions or components with the larger Chrysler and DeSoto hemi engines, or the Plymouth A engines. From 1955 to 1958 lower performance versions of the Dodge hemi were introduced by substituting less complex poly (single rocker shaft) heads and valve train parts, including one variant only built as a poly (259"). These were used in low-line 1955-58 DeSotos and Dodges, and 1955-56 high-line Plymouths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine

The 303 was introduced in Canada before the U.S. Plymouth Fury came on the market. It was used in the Canadian-built 1956 Dodge Custom Royal (2-bbl) and 1956 Chrysler Windsor (4-bbl). In 1957 is was used as the standard V8 in the 118" wheelbase Plymouth and Dodge models.

The 313 V8 appeared in 1957 in the Canadian Custom Royal. For 1958, the 313 became the standard V8 for the 118" wheelbase Plymouth and Dodge models. It was available in Plymouth and Dodge models through 1964, and was replaced by the 318 for 1965. The poly 318 was last used inCanadian production on the 1967 models.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html

The Canadian 1958 Dodge Custom Royal used the poly version of the 354, shared with the Canadian-built
DeSoto Firedome and Chrysler Windsor. Chrysler of Canada did not start using the B block V8 until 1959.

EngineYears (USA)*BoreStroke
3031956-573.813.31
3131957-643.883.31
3261959 (Dodge)3.953.31
3181957-673.913.31

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I also did some searching on google but there's not a whole lot about this Canadian car... The only thing I could find was an old thread (from 2008) on another forum. This guy said that there is an article in Automobile Quarterly Vol 32 No.3 titled "Maple Leaf Mutants - Chryslers North of The Border" that says "the Canadian Plodges got the Super Red Ram 313 in 1957, the equivalent cars in the US were being sold with the first B series engines."
Does anyone have this copy of Automobile Quarterly?

The 1957 Custom Royal's 313 V-8 was referred to as the Super Red Ram in the Canadian sales brochure..mine came with a single four barrel WCFB carter carb.

The 1957 Custom Royal's 313 V-8 was referred to as the Super Red Ram in the Canadian sales brochure..mine came with a single four barrel WCFB carter carb.

Thanks war wagon2. Do you have any knowledge of production # for these cars in 57? How rare or valuable are they in relation to other custom royals of that era?
How could I confirm if the engine in one of these cars is original? Do you have any pictures of the car, particularly under the hood?
Where in Canada are you located?

With regard to production numbers according to Thomas Mcpherson's book "The Dodge Story" 1215 Custom Royals were built in Canada.That would make it a pretty rare car in my books. Canadian cars as a rule are rare. I sold mine in the late seventies and I wish I hadn't. I went looking for pics as I did take a few but I couldn't locate them as yet. The 313 looks just like a Polysphere 318 as used up to '67 in Canada. Since it had a Four barrel mine used the silenced "canted" air cleaner with a round air fliter mounted on the side (The Chrysler used an oval air cleaner element mounted the same way). The engine was silver in colour and like I said it used he Carter WCFB carb, which was not used in '58 as the AFB was introduced then. Two barrel engines would have used the Carter Ball and Ball with the short snorkel air cleaner. The model code for the Custom Royal was D-67 and used an air cooled Cast Iron Torqueflite trans with the vented bell housing if all that helps...

The 313 was a Siamese bore 318 produced by the Canadians and sols on the British Empire markets to over come an old archaic way of taxing new engines. Basically the English system was base on a weird bore/stroke calculation to estimate an engines HP and thus be taxed accordingly. The calculation was slanted towards long stroke small bore engines - the bigger the piston dia the more HP so More tax to collect. What this did was create a market where by early English engines ran ridiculously long stroke engines way longer than anything comparable to the USA market. So a 313 Polyspherical Plymouth/Dodge engine in a Canadian or Export model would have a 3.875" nominal bore instead of a 3.91" like the yankee engine and also had mechanical lifters instead of hydraulics. Nearly all other components are the same - block, heads, valves, pumps etc etc. I've had to live with this anomaly for all my Mopar life!.

Back