318 has no tuneability

TWS67'Fury

Reaction score
My 67 fury has a 318 that was previously rebuilt but wiped a cam lobe so I replaced the cam with a .440"-.480" lift (w/rocker ratio) the heads are the swirlport efi heads (ported, double valve springs) from the 80's heart combustion camber i think. It's got an Edelbrock avs 2 650cfm and a wieand intake to complement. Proform distributor and 70's style 4 wire ignition. Oh and pistons (Kb hypereutectic) with .020" overbore. Sorry I want y'all to have as much info to work off of. I've got an issue where I cannot tune the idle at all but I can get it to idle. I've run out of things to check so I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of an internal intake leak so I don't go wasting my time. Hall effect gap is good timing is good sparkplugs are not bad yet (all tested) I know how to tune carburetors but this just is really sending me for a loop and it's even rich at idle with the adjustment screws all the way in. Maybe cam timing. Don't have a vacuum gauge yet but will be getting one soon.

"Man is born, man lives, man dies, and it's all vanity"

What is the cam .050" duration? With that much lift, I suspect it is a good bit more than 210@.050. What mechanical compression ratio? Exhaust manifolds/headers and under car?

What hot base idle rpm are you seeking and where is it currently at? What is the base ign timing and at what advance curve to 3000rpm or so? Ported vacuum for the vacuum advance?

Which transmission (manual or automatic)? If automatic, what torque converter/stall is in the transmission?

Please advise,
CBODY67

Being rich at idle sounds like the float level is higher than it should be, maybe dripping out of the booster.
add a vacuum leak and it's an un-tunable situation.
Do you have another carb you can try?
My $.02

Back