65 Fury belt line trim clips

65furyrewind

Reaction score
I’ve got a full set of outer aluminum belt line trim pieces, but lack the clips. Has anyone found a source for the clips or a good alternative? First picture shows the trim piece I’m talking about just to be clear. The second picture is of a solution I thought I had. Auveco 807 clips fit the trim just fine, but they’re too long. There’s a ledge under the trim attach holes in the body that won’t allow for anything that penetrates too deeply and these are way too long.

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

The 65 Fury didn't use those type of clips on the belt line molding. They use a 3/8" wide plastic clip with a push in center peg in a 3/16" hole. I have not found anyone that makes them. The closest clip that will work is this one. But, you have to drill the holes out to 1/4" to make them work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123374823335?_

The 65 Fury didn't use those type of clips on the belt line molding. They use a 3/8" wide plastic clip with a push in center peg in a 3/16" hole. I have not found anyone that makes them. The closest clip that will work is this one. But, you have to drill the holes out to 1/4" to make them work.
I tried these but they didnt fit the belt line trim. Still looking for the clips myself.

I tried these but they didnt fit the belt line trim. Still looking for the clips myself.
You tried them and couldn't make them work huh? I have not tried them but they show to be 3/8" wide that is the same as the factory clips but didn't have the 3/16" mounting. I hope you didn't drill your holes to 1/4" in vain. I saw these black clips that look the same as the white ones and require the same 1/4" mounting hole. They are 3/8" wide and 3/4" long also just like the factory used. Wonder if they fit any better?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115389643287?

Last edited:
You tried them and couldn't make them work huh? I have not tried them but they show to be 3/8" wide that is the same as the factory clips but didn't have the 3/16" mounting. I hope you didn't drill your holes to 1/4" in vain. I saw these black clips that look the same as the white ones and require the same 1/4" mounting hole. They are 3/8" wide and 3/4" long also just like the factory used. Wonder if they fit any better?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115389643287?
I did try them, they were bigger than the size stated. No I did not drill the hole, I did try the black ones too. they were not flexable enough for the trim to get put on. So still searching for something that will work. The search continues!!!

I did try them, they were bigger than the size stated. No I did not drill the hole, I did try the black ones too. they were not flexable enough for the trim to get put on. So still searching for something that will work. The search continues!!!
Here’s another thing I tried that didn’t satisfy me it would work well. I had a bunch of the 807 that started this post. Problem was they were too long (and also stiffer than needed for a piece of trim this light). You can see from the attached I tried cutting them shorter. Two problems were that you would have to reach in to squeeze them down with a needle nose to get them started and they didn’t spread wide enough to suck down the trim as tight as I would have liked. I discovered this by inserting one w/o the trim piece. I think they could work if they weren’t just too darn stiff to reshape a bit.

I’ve considered the off the wall idea of buying some lighter spring wire and forming my own from scratch but…..

IMG_0348.jpeg

Here’s another thing I tried that didn’t satisfy me it would work well. I had a bunch of the 807 that started this post. Problem was they were too long (and also stiffer than needed for a piece of trim this light). You can see from the attached I tried cutting them shorter. Two problems were that you would have to reach in to squeeze them down with a needle nose to get them started and they didn’t spread wide enough to suck down the trim as tight as I would have liked. I discovered this by inserting one w/o the trim piece. I think they could work if they weren’t just too darn stiff to reshape a bit.

I’ve considered the off the wall idea of buying some lighter spring wire and forming my own from scratch but…..

View attachment 656300
Yeah I tried this too! :rolleyes::)

View attachment 656300
Thank you for the update! So, I guess the 3/8" measurement they show on their ebay auction is not correct. I am glad I had enough of the original clips when I did my car years ago. I think I still have an extra door belt molding. I am gonna visit my local paint store to see what they can come up with. I'm thinking maybe Aveco must make something that will work.

Thank you for the update! So, I guess the 3/8" measurement they show on their ebay auction is not correct. I am glad I had enough of the original clips when I did my car years ago. I think I still have an extra door belt molding. I am gonna visit my local paint store to see what they can come up with. I'm thinking maybe Aveco must make something that will work.
If you find something please let me know

If you find something please let me know
I dug out a spare door belt molding I had. I measured the opening for the clip. It measures .28" (just over 1/4")
I ordered a few of them that appear to be just under 5/16" wide and will fit a 3/16" hole. I will let you know if they work. Probably be a week or so. Wish me luck.

This information is not not correct. The clips referenced are too wide. I tried to delete this post but it has been up too long. Sorry.

I dug out a spare door belt molding I had. I measured the opening for the clip. It measures .28" (just over 1/4")
I ordered a few of them that appear to be just under 5/16" wide and will fit a 3/16" hole. I will let you know if they work. Probably be a week or so. Wish me luck.
I received some clips that I was able to make work. They measure the same as the factory clips pn: 6001 496.
These clips are the closest I have found to the originals but are black in color and they have the correct pegs that fit the 3/16" holes. I have done a lot of research on this and found that there was some reference to the pn: 6001496 clip included in a E body tail panel kit but they are not correct.
These Volkswagon and BMW clips match up real well but they are very tight fitting and take some ingenuity to finesse the molding on. The best luck I had was to mount the clips in the holes. Then smear some hand cleaner (goop) on them. Then kinda roll the molding on from the outside-in. I used small hammer and piece of wood to tap the molding down onto the clips. You have to be very careful not to ding up the stainless. There may be a better way someone can come up with. Possibly shaving the clips down just a hair since they don't have much give. Here are a couple pics. and a link to the clips I bought. The white clip is an original and the black one is a new one. Good Luck guys.
20pcs Body Side Moulding Clip Trim Retainer for BMW E10 2002 2002Tii 51131804205 | eBay

100_1460.JPG

100_1461.JPG

100_1462.JPG

100_1463.JPG

Back