65 remote passenger mirror... how to aim?

Polara_500_Jr

Reaction score
I can't seem to get enough adjustment to make this mirror functional. I also can't find a reference to one actually existing so.....

Anyone dealt with these? Have an idea on how to adjust it?

They don't have much range, and if they get bumped, then they can get all out of whack. I push the mirror by hand, then see where the remote adjuster is, and go from there. It's usually pretty close after the second try by hand.

Well, get it in as far as you can, and call it good. They aren't the most helpful really, I don't even have one on my Polara. The view out the windows is ten times better.

Right had mirrors in the 60s and early 70s were more a novelty, they are very driver height dependent.

In 69 they moved the mirrors back probably thinking they'd fix the problem only to find they fixed it for on group and made it worse for another.

Having learned to drive before most cars had right hand mirrors I just don't use them much on the cars that have them.

Alan

As already noted, the right mirror isn't very functional. I can use mine when backing out of the garage to check clearance to the door frame or one of the other cars, but in traffic, forget it. I added one to my '65 Barracuda, and that one is even worse.

The rh outside rear view mirrors where kind fo like the rear-mounted radio antennas were in the later 1950s to earlier 1960s.

The lh front mirrors were optional (before they became standard equipment), so if ONE was good on the lh side, one to match it on the rh side evened things out for a more upscale and balanced look. On the back with the antennas, usually one was a dummy, for looks rather than better reception, although some did hook them up to work together (via a kit from JCWhitney).

Putting the mirrors on the fenders was supposed to mean "just a quick glance" to see rearward, rather than turning one's head, but with their smaller diameter, not much of a field of vision as the inside mirror provided. Worse on the rh side. Larger diameter mirrors would have not looked good. About the only thing the rh mirror provided was the rh frt passenger's capability to see rearward.

So, other than for ornamental purposes, not nearly as advantageous as many suspected they would be, except in very tight parking situations, as @Big_John mentioned. In general, the cars were designed to have great driver visibility rearward.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Back