66 Chrysler Door Panel Restoration

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I decided to quit hoping I'd ever hear from SMS about new door panels for my '66 300 convertible, so I engaged a local trim shop to make them for me. All is going well, but the reflector lenses attached at back edge of the panels are a problem. The attaching studs are crumbling and they are not long enough. Does anyone make a repop lens with the metal that surrounds the lenses? Here is a photo of a '66 door panel with all the trim intact:

1718814890039.png

Can you remove the lenses from the bezels?

If so, you could put a couple machine screws through the bezel to form new mounting studs.

Jeff

My L's original panels have those reflectors, but the manner they are stored in the basement I can't see the backside.
Bbut I can see the bezel on one of them and it's really narrow, I'm not sure even a #0 screw could fit it.

Rip - how much are you willing to deviate from original? I might have some ideas?

My L's original panels have those reflectors, but the manner they are stored in the basement I can't see the backside.
Bbut I can see the bezel on one of them and it's really narrow, I'm not sure even a #0 screw could fit it.

Rip - how much are you willing to deviate from original? I might have some ideas?

Thanks for checking out your panels for me. In the end, I may eliminate the reflectors altogether, I prefer not to do that. I'm gonna keep searching today to see what turns up in the way of replacements.

A pic of my '65 door panel reflector. Some unknown previous owner cut an opening and installed a light behind it. It was a fire waiting to happen, so it's been tossed, but that's a story for another thread.

g8pm2hc.jpg

D20IhwJ.jpg

Y7vFHem.jpg

And here's something interesting... A repop reflector for a '65 Impala. It might be worth trying find out the dimensions and see if they are close.

1965 Impala SS, 1964-65 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Door Panel Reflector | eBay

Last edited:
I can't believe they riveted the lens directly to that material (fiber board?) without so much as a steel washer or anything for backing . . .

I can't believe they riveted the lens directly to that material (fiber board?) without so much as a steel washer or anything for backing . . .
There are washers. Look closer. The top hole shows it better.

The washers are put in place and then the studs are mushroomed.

1718902578788.png

@Ripinator
I was thinking of a slightly-larger bezel that would clamp the original to the doorpanel with small tasteful stainless screws (probably 6 to ensure it didn't bow in hte middle).
Could be CNC'd out of aluminum and then polished.
Would take a little time, but I think I could make something.
If 65 and 66 reflectors are the same dimension, I have some patterns already in my basement.

@Ripinator
I was thinking of a slightly-larger bezel that would clamp the original to the doorpanel with small tasteful stainless screws (probably 6 to ensure it didn't bow in hte middle).
Could be CNC'd out of aluminum and then polished.
Would take a little time, but I think I could make something.
If 65 and 66 reflectors are the same dimension, I have some patterns already in my basement.

Thanks a lot for the offer. However, time is of the essence because the shop needs to get my car done - hopefully today. I'm meeting with them today to make a final decision. Stay tuned. . .

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I finally pulled the trigger to eliminate the reflectors altogether. Here is shot of the new driver door panel:
IMG_20240626_163134169_HDR.jpg

Back