'66 Sport Fury carpet and console refurb

mcmlvii

Reaction score
I took the plunge and bought a carpet kit for the beast. And since the old console would look horrible with new carpeting, I redid the console too. So, without further ado, here are a slew of photos of the process.

Interior stripped (I put some Rustoleum on the rusty areas before laying the new carpet):
IMG_0374.JPG

Carpet is in (an ACC kit purchased on ebay):
IMG_0377.JPG

I did the console the following weekend, and I couldn't wait to drive it, so in went the seats (about an 8 hour job so far):
IMG_0378.JPG

Next is the console. Can you say "nasty"? I'm not sure what happened to the wood grain. Years of baking in the sun probably. The original owner lived in Texas and southern California for years:
IMG_0382.JPG

This is an add-on piece to cover the 4-speed hump:
IMG_0383.JPG

... made by J.P. Stevens & Co.
IMG_0385.JPG

Here are all the pieces prior to reassembly:
IMG_0394.JPG

Something I found interesting, the wood grain center overlay pieces (replacement 3M die cuts purchased from Detroit Muscle Technologies on ebay) are actually mounted to individual aluminum sheets bolted or cinched to the base plates. Under the aluminum sheets is what looks to be a console pattern like you'd find in a Dodge Coronet:
IMG_0394sm.jpg

The finished console. I didn't replace the one wood grain piece on the left end since it looked so good but after looking at this photo, I think I'll put on the new piece:
IMG_0396.JPG

And here it is all together (probably about 16 hours from start to finish):
IMG_0401.JPG

I'm slowly morphing the interior from its original green to a much nicer (to me) black. The dash and steering column is next to finish...

Man, that looks fantastic! Nice work! Did you use any sound dampener/ insulation under the carpet?

Nice work, looking good. Do you have some nice salt free roads to take it out for a spin?

Looks great!

There's something new for me. The console looked identical to a 68-70 version until I saw that it's 2 pieces. The rear section bolts on. I never noticed that.

Yes, the carpet came with matting glued to the underside.

Great job and well done on the photo's and steps you did. Thanks for sharing

Looks great!

There's something new for me. The console looked identical to a 68-70 version until I saw that it's 2 pieces. The rear section bolts on. I never noticed that.

this is true and those earlier two piece units are much heavier and heavier duty .. the latter I learned from my buddy polar66hardtop

I'd like to have one btw

Great job! I found it very informative. Thank you for taking the effort to record and post it.

Nice work, looking good. Do you have some nice salt free roads to take it out for a spin?

Yep, sunny and 65. Perfect weather for a Sunday drive.
20150308_155949.jpg

Thanks for the comments, folks. What a great site this is.

Very nice!!! You've got all the exterior trim and everything. Mine will be missing the side trim but I have a lot of new trim for all the rest. I'm in the process of restoring a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury as well. Changing the interior from the "green" to a gold. I've had to take out many of the dash items to repair my defrost vents. Now, for some reason, I am having a HELL of a time putting the clock back in (which I got working as well). Would anyone have any ideas, angles, positions that enable the clock to go back into the dash with the mounting ears on the outside as they're suppose to be?

Thanks for posting. What did you use to refresh the black on the consol, was it dye or paint?

I got the carpet kit off eBay from an Auto Custom Carpets (ACC) dealer. The carpet fit well except was a little high (an inch maybe?) at the shifter hump, but it was covered by the console so all was good.

I used Duplicolor flat black "vinyl and fabric spray" HVP106. I'm not quite sure how much different it is than normal paint but it seems to work well. I also used this stuff on my dash pad and door panels.

Back