detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Nice price for this I would say.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ctd/4708154703.html

image.jpg

Looks clean and great price is nothing serious is wrong. If I wasn't familiar with Chrysler stuff I would consider a Cadillac of this vintage. Still might but, the only problem with a the older Eldorado is that they are smaller in the backseat than a comparable C-Body or Imperial.

I looked at one of these a couple of years ago in WI. It was formery owned by actor George Kennedy. One thing Cadillac did alot that Toronado (66/67) did not do was underbody rustproofing. Georges car was great underneath but needed a complete striping/repaint. When I did the math it was one to pass on for me. For me the '66 Toronado was much better styling but gertting harder to find in great shape and reasonable. For good or bad Jay Leno purchasing a '66 Toro brought alot of attention but also caused the prices to increase.100_0314.jpg

100_0314.jpg

A friend of mine owned one of those front wheel drive cars a number of years ago. He had nothing but endless mechanical problems. It seems the front wheel drive stuff was not well sorted out and replacement parts were non-existent. Very hard to work on with all the complexities of the optional equipment too. He dumped it for nothing, probably like the owner of this one for sale....... The Toros are especially nice looking to me, but the attraction wears off easily unless you are Jay Leno. Get a Riveria and save yourself some headaches if you want one of these cars, as they were rear wheel drive and better looking too, to me at least.

Don't forget the flat floorboard in these models. Years back I looked at 70 Toronado GT in classic salvage yard. Sometimes, I wished I would have bought it. It was in ND and pretty clean. It did run and not sure if it drove but, that model had dual exhaust and slightly hotter 455 IIRC.

The cleanest Eldorado ever, I prefer the more conventional Looks over the Toronado, but the Toronado is the more radical and historically more important one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back