68 polara hood clearance

Reaction score
I'm in the process of mocking up an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold on a B engine in my 68 Polara. The hood clearance is tight to say the least. Anybody running one? And how much drop in the air cleaner base? There are some faily deep drop bases available, but I dont want to get in the way of the kickdown linkage either.

P.S. An Eddy Performer RPM will fit under the hood with an air cleaner. LOL Thanks to Tom Hestness at R&S Racing in Albert lea, MN. Top notch guy and a Mopar man at heart.

I wanted to but no factory air cleaner that I had access to would come close. What I ended up with was a drop base, 14" stamped aluminum, open air cleaner, with a 3" element.R&S racing had bases and lids separately and we mixed and matched till we found what would work. The pieces are very nicely contoured to aid airflow, and come unfinished. At the moment I cant even think of the manufacturer. I could get the part numbers if you need them.

Look at your kick down linkage and make sure it clears when you open the throttle all the way. You might have to adjust it and also bend it to fit. I have the RPM with an Holley 850hp using the K&N X-Stream. I had to modify the kick down linkage so it all would fit. You don't want to whack the throttle full open and it gets stuck under the air cleaner!

image.jpg

Back