69 Polara Dome and ignition light

furyfever

Reaction score
Couple of questions:

Dome Light on ceiling…yellow and pink wires go up through a-pillar to dome light…both have 12 volts on them. 12 volts on yellow wire flows through light bulb to ground (with switch on dome light forward) when either door gets opened. When doors are shut, 12v. gets interrupted and dome light goes out. Got that working properly. Now with the switch on dome light backward doors closed nothing happens. I would think when thrown backwards (with doors closed) would use 12 volts from pink wire to turn dome light On, but mine doesn’t do anything. 12 volts is there though. Or…perhaps dome light rheostat on the dash should?…since it’s labeled “Dome” on top of dial. This Dome rheostat seems to just dim/turn dash lights on/off.

Ignition key light was out too…just replaced bulb and now it’s on all the time. Shouldn’t that come on automatically when you’re about to start car at night when everything is dark? I forget what makes that happen though.

I'm not sure about the '69, but everything I've worked on, the pink wire is 12+ and the yellow is connected to ground. Unlike most of the car wiring, the yellow ground connection is the one that the door switches and the headlight switch interrupt to turn the light off.

Ignition key light was out too…just replaced bulb and now it’s on all the time. Shouldn’t that come on automatically when you’re about to start car at night when everything is dark? I forget what makes that happen though.
There's a timer in the wiring. When you open the door, and the dome lights come on, the key light will come on. The timer keeps the light on for something like 10-15 seconds to light up the key switch and then turns off. The wiring diagram for that is shown in 8-124 in the service manual.

The timer looks like this and usually isn't far from the ignition switch.

1721904449590.png

I'm not sure about the '69, but everything I've worked on, the pink wire is 12+ and the yellow is connected to ground. Unlike most of the car wiring, the yellow ground connection is the one that the door switches and the headlight switch interrupt to turn the light off.
That is correct. Pink is +12 volts and yellow is grounded through the door switches when the door is opened.

If there's a switch on the dome light, IIRC, it can be switched on to illuminate just the dome light with the doors closed. If there's a map light, that is supposed to come on when the doors are open, but can also be switched on with the doors closed. From my experience, those two switches aren't the best and can cause some issues with the lights working correctly.

Back