6al opinions

furyus 67

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions on where to mount the 6al. This to me seems like a good spot, but I'm not sure if the hood spring bars will be banging on it. Where have some of those of you have them or have had the put them?

image.jpg

I never mounted one on a C-body myself, but I would look on the radiator support (facing the engine) rather than the firewall. It will be a little cooler there.

I never mounted one on a C-body myself, but I would look on the radiator support (facing the engine) rather than the firewall. It will be a little cooler there.
I thought about moving the horns and putting there.mmmm.

Lotta room up front and that coil won't care if you hang it horizontally or vertically or in front or the back side of the core support. That'z why Gawd helped man invent Uni-bores and cute little rubber grommets.

I never like mounting electronic stuff on the front side of the radiator support. I'd rather they were quite as exposed to rain etc. Probably won't make a difference... but that's my preference.

If you do mount it vertically, mount with the wiring facing down. That helps keep water out.

I can't hold back any longer.
The thread outlasted my ability to keep my mouth shut.

It's a $250.00 humongous rev limiter. .. :D :eek:ld_school:

I can't hold back any longer.
The thread outlasted my ability to keep my mouth shut.

It's a $250.00 humongous rev limiter. .. :D :eek:ld_school:
yes it is commando!!! But it's my $250 humongous rev limiter!;) 1- eliminates those wonderfully reliable ballast resistors! 2-the build in my mind is part hotrod,part cruiser and part low rider. But it's all mine!
3-I know I'll use this on future builds. If I do decide to build a big hp 440 I'd don't need to buy it in the future. Ya see what you need to understand is if I like something I use it. Do I need headers ....no. Do I like headers.....yes. Therefore... because I can.....I will. I'm not building the car my dad used drive me around in. I'm not restoring a Cbody. I'm building the car I want to drive. Did I need to lower it? No.... Did I....yes! It's nothing more than personal preference. It's all good! As always your opinions are always welcomed and appreciated!

Just curious, but why a 6AL. There are many other options in most cases.
Reliable,easy to use and many applications. I know a lot of hotrod,custom and muscle car guys and they came highly recommended. A set it and forget it kinda thing. I doubt this will be the last car its installed on.

use one in my 91 gmc..good units for basic cars...mount with wires down as stated above...this will enshure rpm tabs at bottom where water cant pool...
depending on car would throw in trunk or dash area if possible rad sppt area bad idea due to possible water intruision...if you don't care if its seen throw on top pass side inner fender or fenderwall
or...

I've had MSD ignitions in 3 vehicles and would recommend them to anyone. The best application was my A12 Roadrunner. That car was jetted a little "fat" and had a pretty lopy cam in it and would occasionally load the plugs. The stock ignition worked OK, but everything had to be right. If the plugs were the least bit fouled, forget it... there was no starting that car. A switch to the MSD and a .055 plug gap and no more problems. If there was gas in the cylinders, it didn't matter what the plugs looked like... It started and ran....

That ignition is 25 plus years old and still on the car with the new owner.

I also ran the MSD race unit (7?) for a few years on my race car after talking to some of the guys at Chrysler. It ran flawlessly and I never again had to warm the car up and switch plugs like I used to do with the Mopar Perf unit.

So you Experienced hotter spark. And we're able to run a wider plug gap. That's good to know.

I've had MSD ignitions in 3 vehicles and would recommend them to anyone. The best application was my A12 Roadrunner. That car was jetted a little "fat" and had a pretty lopy cam in it and would occasionally load the plugs. The stock ignition worked OK, but everything had to be right. If the plugs were the least bit fouled, forget it... there was no starting that car. A switch to the MSD and a .055 plug gap and no more problems. If there was gas in the cylinders, it didn't matter what the plugs looked like... It started and ran....

That ignition is 25 plus years old and still on the car with the new owner.

I also ran the MSD race unit (7?) for a few years on my race car after talking to some of the guys at Chrysler. It ran flawlessly and I never again had to warm the car up and switch plugs like I used to do with the Mopar Perf unit.

That is good to know I had problems with my Barracuda fouling plugs and was debating on what to do when it goes back together. Thanks Big John.

No, I spent the morning going to look at the 3.73 rears the magnets on the drain plugs were way to fuzzy to be in my comfort zone. So I ran the current/broken rear dropout (center section) down to the rebuilders hope to have it back on Friday and back in this weekend. If it was a Eaton rear I would be picking it up by noon tomorrow. Damn Rockwells will have backordered parts and I will be driving to Baltimore or Detroit for one lousy part. I found a set of 404 Eatons for future sale, so when I stretch this truck I am putting Eatons in it.

The idea of carrying "extra" ballast resistors seems ludicrous to me. One way to solve that was the 6al. Besides......it's shiny and red!

Back