For Sale '71 Fury II 2-door hardtop "23" roof with 383 on eBay - price reduced to $4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

FURYGT

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not Mine. Worth a look. Appears to have '71 GT wheels and center caps but without the trim rings.

1971 Plymouth Fury | eBay

71 Fury II Right.jpg
71 Fury II Left.jpg

71 Coupe 383, A/C, runs, no vinyl, base (almost) model.
I love it.
I wish I was in a position to do something stupid one last time.
SFGT eater.

Per listing;
71 plymouth fury 2 (383 engine) this is a 1 owner car, miles is original everything bout the car is original
Original except for the color/paint, seatcovers - and probably not the original owner either.

Back window trim missing, pucker on trunklid - my spider-sense is telling me 'bondo-buggy'.
upload_2018-1-27_15-50-5.png

upload_2018-1-27_15-50-59.png

upload_2018-1-27_15-51-39.png

71 GT wheel.jpg
Not 71 SFGT wheels.

I think that they are and they were an option on any '71 Fury except for wagons. Take a close look at the center caps. Definitely the correct size and shape and sure looks like the black '71 GT center caps. The rims appear to be flat in the center with no hub cap nubs and look like they may be the same as this one.
71 GT wheel cap1.jpg

I agree with Bill. They appear to be the 71 GT rally wheel, which was a unique wheel in 1971 only.

But it's difficult to be 100% accurate, as the photos are terrible.

Holy crap! That’s a lot of mud in those quarters!! Also, that pucker in the trunk lid is rust, trying to escape! That is a scary car. Run fast and far from it.

The fuselage era Furys were notorious for rusting through from the inside out due to rust forming on the pinch weld.

We have a rare car here that no one said was perfect. For those of us who live in the rust belt the rust and bondo issues this car has don't scare us away. If I had the $'s & space I would be getting someone to look at it.

The negativity on this forum really aggravates me at times and makes me want to get photos of some members cars and critique their cars. If this were an overpriced turd with quarter panels flapping in the wind I'd understand the bashing but folks are making a lot of assumptions on crappy photos. Find me another one for sale with a 383, no vinyl top, the "23" roof etc. that's a low line Fury for under $5K. Rant over.

The negativity on this forum really aggravates me at times and makes me want to get photos of some members cars and critique their cars. If this were an overpriced turd with quarter panels flapping in the wind I'd understand the bashing but folks are making a lot of assumptions on crappy photos. Find me another one for sale with a 383, no vinyl top, the "23" roof etc. that's a low line Fury for under $5K. Rant over.
For those of us who live in the rust belt the rust and bondo issues this car has don't scare us away.

I won't speak for others, but if you're talking about my comments on this car, here's my rebuttal:
  • Seller is pitching this as an all-original car, which it clearly isn't.
  • The photos aren't really crappy, there just aren't enough of them, and not detailed enough, to really make a sale. But the lighting is good enough to make some assessments on the pics that are there.
  • I live in the rust belt, and this car is hiding far more than the pictures suggest, so I would not be interested. I'd rather have an original quarterpanel flapping in the wind than what might be hiding in this one.
  • If my cars were listed for sale, you could critique them, but you won't find much of anything that I wouldn't have already disclosed.

definitely GT caps....no idea about rims though...possibly piecemealed

The fuselage era Furys were notorious for rusting through from the inside out due to rust forming on the pinch weld.

We have a rare car here that no one said was perfect. For those of us who live in the rust belt the rust and bondo issues this car has don't scare us away. If I had the $'s & space I would be getting someone to look at it.

Hey bud, I know it bothers some... but the bashing/dissecting of the "for sale" cars from EB and CL often does help us educate each other. IMO, it wouldn't be anymore fun than finding/reading the ads themselves without the banter. As to member cars... yeah, ours aren't all perfect... and personally I'm not going to be too sensitive, but it would create an ugly dynamic if we tore at each other too much. I like the rule for not bashing member's cars or attacking them because of that.

I do like this car, though if it was a "must have", I'd look for a cleaner one. IDK prices on them, but this seems a bit high for the flaws I see. The underhood shows she has definitely had a few northern winters... how often do valve covers and master cylinder lids rust out elsewhere?
s-l1600.jpg

Both make valid points. I at most times don't see what others see so I'm glad they are out there. Then there' s times when the member is out to lunch for what I find to be a fool's errand

Cars like this? Go find another, right? My impression from being on this site is that this roofline doesn’t present itself often so you have to buy them how you find them.

As someone who likes to drive, show, and wax my cars, I truly appreciate the vast knowledge of members when it comes to mechanical, and body work comments. They have pointed out so many things that I did not know.

I think Bills problem though is of the obvious, like " look at those rusty valve covers " how could they?

My post of this car stated "worth a look". I saw several issues with the car that were obvious that others took the time to list that I did not feel I needed to because they were obvious. I felt the car was worth listing as I don't think that I have ever encountered a car like this in my 25+ years in the C Body hobby and I noticed that the seller dropped his price by $2,000. In addition, there is the possibility that the car has the rare '71 GT wheels and centers. The wheels alone are worth a grand or better to someone who needs them and I could see someone buying the car just for the wheels if they are correct and not badly rusted and were missing from their '71 GT.

Furyfan,

My rant was not directed at you but instead was a build up frustration at all the negativity that exists on this board at times, especially with regards to cars for sale. Many of the cars for sale deserve to be slammed for a variety of reasons.

Except for guys like you, I and others on the forum who give lots of pics and honest descriptions of cars we sell, it is pretty much a given in my experience most other folks listing a car for sale is going to misrepresent it in some fashion, hence "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware) always applied when contemplating purchasing a car.

Furyfan,

My rant was not directed at you but instead was a build up frustration at all the negativity that exists on this board at times, especially with regards to cars for sale. Many of the cars for sale deserve to be slammed for a variety of reasons.

Except for guys like you, I and others on the forum who give lots of pics and honest descriptions of cars we sell, it is pretty much a given in my experience most other folks listing a car for sale is going to misrepresent it in some fashion, hence "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware) always applied when contemplating purchasing a car.
'
Understood on how frustration can build - that's the main reason I don't go to Moparts anymore.

You hit the nail on the head on caveat emptor - that's probably the reason I point out flaws in cars that are over-pitched - I want to 'pre-emptor' for folks. Cars that are reasonably-priced and described in detail will usually get my support (recent examples are the black 67 VIP roller in KY, and a black 62 Imp in NY).

I agree it's unusual to see the GT wheels on this car, and might be worth a grand to the right guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back