73 Imperial Broadcast Sheet Decoding

Chris RB

Reaction score
Hi all, been a while since I last posted here.

I was poking around the rear seat of my Imperial when I came across the Broadcast sheet (mostly) intact.
As exciting as it was for me because none of my cars have ever had one, I realized that I have no idea how to read these things...

Attached are some pictures of the car's information.
I'm hoping the seasoned experts here can help me find out as much info as possible regarding the car.

(Not sure if it's possible but would love to know what dealership sold it new, etc).

As always, I appreciate any and all help!

Cheers!
Chris
image.jpg
image1.jpg
image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg

Great that you found the sheet and could retreive it.

On the very top line, you'll notice the VIN, of course, and a few other things related to it.

The next lines seem, to me, to relate to the actual parts used, with the (possibly) "tag numbers" those parts would have attached to them. Might also be the last digits of the actual part numbers you'd find in a parts book? Never have chased that possible fact, though.

The parts of interest are the horizontal color-banded lines. These are the option codes, which can be found in the Dealer Order Guides you can find at www.hamtramck-historical.com . As you'll notice the letters of the code are pre-printed, with a number, too, with the FINAL number of the Option Code printed in the space below it, to complete the particular option code. In some cases, these individual codes can be a part of an Option Group, as in the Light Package, but could be optioned separately, sometimes.

Sometime about 1974-75, Chrysler went to a more colorful Build Sheet variation. Much nicer to look at! PLUS it had all of the possible option codes listed on the back-side of the sheet. No need to chase an Order Guide to look them up. It also tended to illuminate the fact that one Option Code could mean different things as to the body platform it was installed upon. As in different things on an A-body than on a C-body, for example. Many times, these could be found in the footwells, on the carpet/floor mat, rather than just tucked inside the seat springs. Which could also mean they'd be in the trash cans near the wash rack of the Make Ready area.

To me, the Data Plate is kind of a "shortcut" Build Sheet that is where people can quickly look to see what is on the car, as to major things rather than minute items, generally. Good for verifying engine, trans, axle, exterior color, interior trim, and some other things.

The Data Plate format is detailed in the "INFO" pages of the particular model year Chrysler Parts Manual. Quite simple once it's understood, usually. The main parts I was concerned with were the bottom lines with the larger stamps, as that's where engine, transmission, and axle were located.

The Door VIN decal can take the place of the old VIN plate in the lh frt cowl A-pillar base area. Plus having other info as Build Month, and designed weight-carrying levels of the front and rear suspensions (usually more important for pickup truck models than cars). As time progressed, near that Door VIN decal, other stickers were placed for quick ID issues. IF the car was "Non-Catalyst" or "Catalyst", for example, and possibly a decal of where the assembly plant which built the car, as a point of pride. All of these decals kind of infringed upon the real estate that used to be used by service facilities to put THEIR stickers for when oil changes and such sere done.

SO, enjoy your discovery activities as they can be "magical" sometimes!
CBODY67

Thanks for all the documentation! For a start, we can compare the SPD (Scheduled Production Date) on the fendertag with the MDH (Month-Day-Hour) on the doorsticker and conclude, as is usually the case, that they don't coincide:

SPD = A31 = October 31
MDH = 110418 = November 4

No matter how many times @69CoronetRT and I, among others, draw attention to this point, most online fendertag decoders will sell you the SPD as the build date. Nope, the car was built in November (1972), see the Date of Manufacture at the top of the doorsticker.

Great that you found the sheet and could retreive it.

On the very top line, you'll notice the VIN, of course, and a few other things related to it.

The next lines seem, to me, to relate to the actual parts used, with the (possibly) "tag numbers" those parts would have attached to them. Might also be the last digits of the actual part numbers you'd find in a parts book? Never have chased that possible fact, though.

The parts of interest are the horizontal color-banded lines. These are the option codes, which can be found in the Dealer Order Guides you can find at www.hamtramck-historical.com . As you'll notice the letters of the code are pre-printed, with a number, too, with the FINAL number of the Option Code printed in the space below it, to complete the particular option code. In some cases, these individual codes can be a part of an Option Group, as in the Light Package, but could be optioned separately, sometimes.

Sometime about 1974-75, Chrysler went to a more colorful Build Sheet variation. Much nicer to look at! PLUS it had all of the possible option codes listed on the back-side of the sheet. No need to chase an Order Guide to look them up. It also tended to illuminate the fact that one Option Code could mean different things as to the body platform it was installed upon. As in different things on an A-body than on a C-body, for example. Many times, these could be found in the footwells, on the carpet/floor mat, rather than just tucked inside the seat springs. Which could also mean they'd be in the trash cans near the wash rack of the Make Ready area.

To me, the Data Plate is kind of a "shortcut" Build Sheet that is where people can quickly look to see what is on the car, as to major things rather than minute items, generally. Good for verifying engine, trans, axle, exterior color, interior trim, and some other things.

The Data Plate format is detailed in the "INFO" pages of the particular model year Chrysler Parts Manual. Quite simple once it's understood, usually. The main parts I was concerned with were the bottom lines with the larger stamps, as that's where engine, transmission, and axle were located.

The Door VIN decal can take the place of the old VIN plate in the lh frt cowl A-pillar base area. Plus having other info as Build Month, and designed weight-carrying levels of the front and rear suspensions (usually more important for pickup truck models than cars). As time progressed, near that Door VIN decal, other stickers were placed for quick ID issues. IF the car was "Non-Catalyst" or "Catalyst", for example, and possibly a decal of where the assembly plant which built the car, as a point of pride. All of these decals kind of infringed upon the real estate that used to be used by service facilities to put THEIR stickers for when oil changes and such sere done.

SO, enjoy your discovery activities as they can be "magical" sometimes!
CBODY67
Thanks for all the info!
I'll look into it when I get home.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the documentation! For a start, we can compare the SPD (Scheduled Production Date) on the fendertag with the MDH (Month-Day-Hour) on the doorsticker and conclude, as is usually the case, that they don't coincide:

SPD = A31 = October 31
MDH = 110418 = November 4

No matter how many times @69CoronetRT and I, among others, draw attention to this point, most online fendertag decoders will sell you the SPD as the build date. Nope, the car was built in November (1972), see the Date of Manufacture at the top of the doorsticker.
Right, I remember being told that but forgot how to read the date on the sticker.

Cheers.

Back