73 newport, how wide can i go rear?

madvaa

Reaction score
Anyone know how wide i can go on the tires/rims in the rear? What kind of backspace? I have 255 on 15" now on centerline rims, dont know how wide they are or what kind of backspace there is... Was hoping to go 275!!!

i have 275/60s on 8.5 inch ET mags (not sure of back space) on my 73 newport. but i put an in 8 3/4 out of a 69 fury that was 3 inches narower overall than the 8 1/4 that was in it from the factory. with the factory rear i had to jack the car up and let the rear hang down just to get a 225/70 off. what kind of clearance do you have now?

I was thinking that i might had to change the axle to one that is narrower, i thought it was a 8 3/4 on it from the factory since it is a 440?? I am away at work now so i will check it out more once im bach home, with the 255 it is a slight rub on the outside so i guess with more backspace it would work with 275.. As i recall there is about 2" to the leaf..

275 will fit for sure with tons of room to spare unless you have some weird backspacing.

275 will fit for sure with tons of room to spare unless you have some weird backspacing.

Perfect, just need some new rims with suitable backspacing, i`ll measure the ones i have and get some with more backspacing :)

Back