A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to the DMV!

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is just really bizarre!! My front license plate for my Newport has been missing for over two years. My Daughter, Mariah, Son-in-law Vince, Grandson Preston and I went to breakfast at Morning Thunder in Chico one morning and I noticed it missing after we ate. Being that this was the second time in two years that my plate was missing, I didn't spend another 10 bucks replacing it.

So....

Yesterday, my Wife, Frances, hands me a letter wanting to know what it is? It was from the DMV, but not the usual notice that a registration was due, or the tags for one we just paid for. I open it and it's a notice that the replacement plate i ordered has come in.
Excellent! But, I hadn't ordered one! I go into their office today, and sure enough, I have a new plate!! She said someone must have ordered it for me. Weird.

If you did, thanks! My car will have a set again.

Notice there's no plate on the first picture, but the rear is still there. First picture is from two years ago in Gridley.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

I think I would look at some different fastener for the plates. Maybe something with a torx screw head that they can't use a crescent wrench on...

My oldest had one stolen off the front of his car years ago. Middle of a bad winter and he didn't notice it was gone until he got a knock on his door one night about midnight.... Two sheriffs at his door. The thieves did a hit and run with another car and the plate tore off and was sitting in in the snowbank until the cops picked it up and traced it back to him. They figured it out fast it wasn't him, but gave him a little noise about not reporting it. Most likely it was stolen the night before and he just never saw it.

Point being... Your stolen plate might be hanging in someone's garage... Or is it on another car?

I learned a long time ago to never put a chrome valve cap on anything... They disappear real quick to kids on bikes.

Years ago I worked at a hardware store and we had a guy come in who owned a restaurant. He was putting about 50 old license plates on the walls as decoration and bought 200 screws, 50 phillips, 50 flat head, 50 hex & 50 torx. Said he didn't know if he could stop people from stealing them, but he could at least make them work for it.

I learned a long time ago to never put a chrome valve cap on anything... They disappear real quick to kids on bikes.
This comment reminded me of dealing with the problem of kids stealing the chrome caps for their bikes. I remember a time years ago I drove my 78 Dodge truck into Juarez Mexico while vacationing in Texas. A kid on a bike was riding along side as my family and I drove into a parking lot. He told me he would watch my truck for me for 2 american dollars. I agreed since I thought if I didn't pay the ransom, my truck may be stripped before I got back. When we got back from shopping, I was getting ready to give him his 2 dollars when I noticed the chrome caps on his bike looked like mine. When I told him he would get his two buck when I got my caps back, he quickly put them back on. After that, I tightened them with a wrench. Never had the problem again.

Point being... Your stolen plate might be hanging in someone's garage... Or is it on another car?
Chico is a College Town; I think they are hanging on some dorm room wall!

I did use some different fasteners the last time, but not the Torque heads; I'll give those a shot. Thanks.

Back