A Letter to the People: Saving Chrysler – A Call to Action

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
(putting this here, don't know where else)

A Letter to the People: Saving Chrysler – A Call to Action

A Call to Investors and Workers to Rebuild the Automaker...

Frank Rhodes Jr.

I am writing to you today not just as a concerned citizen but as someone with a deep, personal connection to one of our nation’s most iconic brands. My great-grandfather, Walter P. Chrysler, founded the Chrysler Corporation in 1925, a company that has since become a cornerstone of American automotive history. As we approach the 100th anniversary of Chrysler, with plans for what could be the largest gathering of Chrysler products ever seen in North America at next year’s Chrysler Carlisle event, I believe the time for change is now. And I am ready to lead that change.

For the past 45 years, I have proudly served as a Brand Ambassador for Chrysler. I’ve seen the highs and lows, the triumphs and challenges. But today, I believe we are at a critical juncture. The Chrysler brand, once a symbol of innovation and American ingenuity, is now at risk of fading into obscurity due to what I believe are poor decisions and mismanagement by its current owners, Stellantis.
Chrysler Corporation Founder Walter P. Chrysler, next to his first 1924 Chrysler Six.

Stellantis, a company that seems out of touch with the American market, has allowed sales to decline, delayed new product launches, and put the livelihoods of our dealers and workers in jeopardy. Prices are soaring, layoffs are looming, and the future of the brand hangs in the balance. Meanwhile, Stellantis’ CEO, Carlos Tavares, earns a staggering $39.5 million salary, a figure that seems grossly out of proportion given the struggles facing the company.

My great-grandfather was hired by General Motors (GM) in 1911 to save the failing Buick brand. Within a few years, he turned Buick into GM’s most profitable division. But even back then, poor management decisions, like investing in impractical projects, threatened to derail his efforts. This mirrors the situation today, where Stellantis’s investments in ventures like Archer Aviation seem to distract from the core business of building great cars. These funds would be better spent on revitalizing the Chrysler brand.

(photo: 1961 Chrysler 300G Convertible in Formal Black)

The current management at Stellantis, overseeing more than 15 different brands, cannot give Chrysler the necessary attention. The result? Mediocrity at best. And now, with the potential entry of Chinese automaker BYD into the U.S. market, our industry faces an even greater threat. The influx of cheap cars could devastate our manufacturing base, and this is not just a possibility—it is a fact.

I was hopeful when Christine Feuell was appointed to lead the Chrysler brand. But year after year, we see Chrysler’s products being pushed further down the priority list while slow-selling brands like Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and Maserati receive more attention. Chrysler has deep roots in the American market, serving as a reliable and accessible option for the middle class. Does Stellantis understand this? Chrysler needs new products now, not tomorrow, not next year—now.

(photo: 2009 Chrysler 200C EV Concept)

Recently, United Auto Workers (UAW) President Shawn Fain criticized Stellantis and Carlos Tavares for failing to honor contracts. I stand with our workers, but it’s clear that the current approach is not working. Stellantis and GM are pricing themselves out of the market, and layoffs seem inevitable. This is a situation that cannot continue.

But I am not without hope. I am confident that investors will see the potential in resurrecting this historic brand. My vision is to bring Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, and Ram back as an American-owned company that focuses not only on profits but also on the people who build these cars. I propose creating a new Chrysler Corporation, with workers as part-owners of the company. This would give them a stake in the success of the company and ensure that their jobs are secure.

(photo: My 2023 Chrysler 300C, the last one built)

This plan would also allow Stellantis to save face by exploring all options while offloading Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, and Ram to a company that truly cares about their future. This is not just a business opportunity but a chance to restore pride in an American icon and secure the future for thousands of workers.

The situation is dire, but with the right leadership and a clear vision, I believe we can turn things around. The time for action is now, and I am ready to step up and save the brand that my great-grandfather built. With the support of investors and the commitment of our workers, we can ensure that the Chrysler name lives on for another 100 years.

Sincerely,
Frank B. Rhodes, Jr.

Back