A NASCAR win in Wilson, NC, 1953

sauterd

Reaction score
Driving the No. 92, he led all 200 laps on the 0.5-mile dirt track and took home $1,000.

wilson.jpg

Dale I’ve been to this track many times. I have always been told the late Clay Earl owned it. The track here in Raleigh (Wake Co speedway) ran on Friday night & on Saturday night the short drive to Wilson. Back in the 60’s & early 70’s when we had service stations that also were garages there was often old late models parked. Often beat up from the bull ring. One garrage in particular just outside of town & only a few miles from the track had several including an old Chevelle. They just sat there. Simpson’s garrage which is located on the property of WCS often had late models around & still have a few as I believe one of the grandsons is still racing. They where Ford fans. Lots of Fairlane’s & Mustangs sitting over there back in the day. There was a junk yard down a path in the woods behind the track. I’ve been given permission a few times to have a look. Several old stockers laid to rest in there. There was even a decent looking old 63/4 Dart drag car with a 413 from a C body sitting in there. I haven’t been there in 15 years or so. They race those plastic body wedge looking things there now. Never could get into to those.

Last edited:
Dale I’ve been to this track many times. I have always been told the late Clay Earl owned it. The track here in Raleigh (Wake Co speedway) ran on Friday night & on Saturday night the short drive to Wilson. Back in the 60’s & early 70’s when we had service stations that also were garages there was often old late models parked. Often beat up from the bull ring. One garrage in particular just outside of town & only a few miles from the track had several including an old Chevelle. They just sat there. Simpson’s garrage which is located on the property of WCS often had late models around & still have a few as I believe one of the grandsons is still racing. They where Ford fans. Lots of Fairlane & Mustangs sitting over there back in the day. There was a junk yard down a path in the woods behind the track. I’ve been given permission a few times to have look. Several old stockers laid to rest in there. There was even a decent looking old 63/4 Dart drag car with a 413 from a C body sitting in there. I haven’t been there in 15 years or so. They race those plastic body wedge looking things there now. Never could get into to those.

Thanks, Bob, good information. And I agree about new NASCAR as well.

Dale

The last years when the step down Hudsons were able to outperform their competitors with their six cylinder engines coupled with a low Center of gravity. They have my respect as I have a soft spot for the small Independent makes.

Wilson County Speedway was owned by Wilson, NC American Legion Post #13. Clay Earles was NEVER involved with Wilson. When the track ran NASCAR, it was co-promoted by Joe Weatherly & Paul Sawyer, who were also promoting Richmond Fairgrounds and Princess Anne in Norfolk. Back in 1973 I co-sponsored a Limited Sportsman car at Wilson and Wake County driven by the late Danny Lee of Bailey. Another good friend, Jerry Howell of Goldsboro promoted the track for a while following James Jones of Goldsboro who staged the big November Southern Late Model 200 races in the 1970s. Below are photos of the '55 Chevy and ChevyII we fielded in 70s with driver Danny Lee at Wilson, Wake County & Chantilly. Also a photo of Dale Earnhardt winning the season ending 1977 Southern Late Model 200 in the Robert Gee Camaro on his only visit to Wilson.
danny1.jpg
dannychevy2.jpg
dalegeewilson77-1.PNG
dalegeewilson77-2.PNG

Back