AC conversion vs upgraded system

Reaction score
Our AC needs a recharge which means converting to R134A. Since we are planning to upgrade the car in most areas we have been thinking about maybe going for a complete kit with compressor like the one in the link:

65-69 Dodge/Plymouth Big Block A/C Upgrade Kit STAGE-1

Any experience with it that you can share?

20240713_142539.jpg

Last edited:
There are several old threads in here on doing the Sanden compressor conversion. Just replacing the compressor.

There is one well-documented thread by @TxDon on doing the full conversion, incl the parallel flow condenser about 2 or 3 years ago. Including where he got everything. On a '66 Monaco wagon with dual a/c.

In general, those C-body systems seemed to be a bit over-sized as they would cool well with about 2.5 lbx of R-12 in them, in a TX summer. So you might be able to get away with doing the condenser later than sooner, if desired. The advantage is that that is where the old a/c oil might be accumulated, being the lowest part of the system, so replacing it with new can be good. Be sure to fully flush the evap core, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I ended up keeping the original Condenser and Evaporator and went with the Sanden compressor, new drier, lines etc. 100+ degrees out and it blows pretty darned cold given how old the system design is.

I lucked out that both my cond and Evap were in good shape though. Flush them, and flush them more.

Bouchillon Performance has all the parts you need to do this (including brackets) and the price won't break the bank. The only hard part is crimping the lines. If you want to DIY those you can get a hydraulic crimper off Amazon for around 100 bucks.

I ended up keeping the original Condenser and Evaporator and went with the Sanden compressor, new drier, lines etc. 100+ degrees out and it blows pretty darned cold given how old the system design is.

I lucked out that both my cond and Evap were in good shape though. Flush them, and flush them more.

Bouchillon Performance has all the parts you need to do this (including brackets) and the price won't break the bank. The only hard part is crimping the lines. If you want to DIY those you can get a hydraulic crimper off Amazon for around 100 bucks.
how many cans of flush did it take to clean out the condenser?

I am in the end stages of a conversion. I did everything a la cart. It took allot of effort. Mostly got parts via Ebay e.g compressor, evaporator, expansion value, Condenser... I used a place called Cold Hose for hoses and fittings. Don't buy fittings from Ebay. They're made poorly.
20240626_215832.jpg

Screenshot_20240219-061041_Chrome.jpg

20240329_210402.jpg

Back